OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: NANNY McPHEE [2005]

Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

NANNY McPHEE [2005]

You'll Learn To Love Her. 
Warts And All.


They're the worstest, nastiest, horriblest.It'll be snow in August before this family's straightened out.
~Mrs. Blatherwick

Evangeline: Lily, what's this word?
Lily: Lovingly.
"He took her lovingly by the hand."
Tora: What's your book about, Evangeline?
Lily: It's about the daughter of a nice man who remarries after his wife dies 
and the stepmother's horrid to her.
Evangeline: Why doesn't the man stop her from being horrid?
Simon: Fathers all turn bad once their wives die.
They don't care anymore.
Evangeline: Simon, yours does.
Simon: No, he doesn't.
Does he read to Chrissie or play cricket with us like he used to?
He doesn't even sing loola-bye to Aggy.
We hardly see him.
Evangeline: He loves you, Simon, you know that.
He's just had a lot on his mind since...
Simon: Since Mother died.
Evangeline: You used to be as close as anything.
Simon: Not anymore.
All he cares about now is getting himself a nice new wife.
Evangeline: Well, I don't know if that's true or not, but perhaps it might be nice to have a new mother.
Lily: Don't you know anything about the world, Evangeline?
Whoever he marries will be vile and treat us like slaves.
Evangeline: You don't know that.
Eric: Plenty of hard evidence for it.
There isn't one single stepmother in there who's even halfway decent.
They're an evil breed.
Anyway, who ever likes other people's children?
Evangeline: I like you.
Eric: Yes, but you're a servant. You're paid to like us. That doesn't count.

Nanny McPhee: I understand you have extremely ill-behaved children.
Mr. Brown: No, no, no. Good grief, what a suggestion.
Nanny McPhee: What are your main concerns?
Mr. Brown: Concerns?
Mr. Brown: Do they go to bed when they're told?
Mr. Brown: Well, no, not er... No.
Nanny McPhee: Do they get up when they're told?
Mr. Brown: Er, well, no, not exactly.
Nanny McPhee: Do they get dressed when they're told?
Mr. Brown: Now, that's a good question. 
Nanny McPhee: Do they say "please" and "thank you"?
Mr. Brown: In what context?
Nanny McPhee: That will do to be going on with.
Your children need me.

May I just remind you of something?
We got rid of the last 17 nannies.
We're getting rid of this one, too.
~Simon

Nanny McPhee: There is something you should understand about the way I work.
When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay.
When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go.
It's rather sad, really, but there it is.
Simon: We will never want you!
Nanny McPhee: Then I will never go.


Mr. Brown: What are your terms?
Nanny McPhee: Your children require 5 lessons.
Lesson1, to go to bed when they're told, is complete.
As for my terms, I take Sunday afternoons off.

I shall be sure to give them exactly what they need.
~Nanny McPhee

Lesson 2, to get up when they're told, is complete.
~Nanny McPhee

Nanny McPhee: I think you will find that lesson 3, to get dressed when they're told, is complete.
Mr. Brown: Just to get dressed when they're told?
I think they have learned a great deal more than that.
Nanny McPhee: I have 5 lessons to teach.
What lessons they learn is entirely up to them.


Nanny McPhee: Children, your father has asked me to tell you 
there's Mrs. Quickly coming for tea tomorrow.
Sebastian: Nanny McPhee...
Nanny McPhee: Yes, sweetheart?
Sebastian: Can you stop Papa from marrying a horrible stepmother?
Nanny McPhee: I'm afraid not.
Chrissie: Even if you wanted to?
Nanny McPhee: Even if I wanted too.
I cannot interfere with affairs of the heart.

Mr. Brown: There's no time to mince words.
I can't support my own family. I never have been able to.
There are so many of you.
But you're all so delicious.
When Aggy came along and your mother was so ill, I said, "We may have to stop now, dear."
and she said, "I know."
The fact of the matter is, your great-aunt Adelaide has been supporting us for years with a monthly allowance.
A little while ago, she told me that I had to remarry or the allowance would stop.
This woman today was my last chance.
Our last chance.
Simon: Ours?
Mr. Brown: When the money stops, the house will be taken. 
Some of you will perhaps be put into the workhouse.
Some will be put into the care... into the care of others.
I don't know how many of you will be allowed to stay together.
I'm sorry to have failed you, children.
You deserve so much better.

Nanny McPhee: Lesson 4 is complete.
Mr. Brown: Lesson 4?
Nanny McPhee: To listen.

Lesson number 5.
You must do exactly what you're told.
~Nanny McPhee




*****

1 comment:

  1. hello, I'm going an art project in school and i want to use a pic from here, am I allowed to tace a pic from here'?

    ReplyDelete