OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: SHERLOCK HOLMES [2009]

Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

SHERLOCK HOLMES [2009]

Sherlock Holmes
Nothing Escapes Him
Mary: It can seem a little far-fetched though sometimes, 
making this grand assumptions out of tiny details.
Holmes: That's not quite right, is it?
In fact, the little details are by far the most important.

Holmes, investigate Mary: You're a governess.
Watson: Yes, well done. Shall we...
Holmes, ignoring Watson: Your student... is a boy of 8.
Mary: Charlie's 7, actually.
Holmes: Charlie... then he's tall for his age.
He flicked ink at you today.
Mary, to Watson: Is there ink on my face?
Watson: There's nothing wrong with your face.
Holmes: There are 2 drops on your ear, in fact.
India blue's nearly imposibble to wash off.
A very impetous act by the boy.
But you're too experienced to react rashly, 
which is why the lady for whom you work lent you that necklace.
Oriental pearls, diamonds, a flawless ruby.
Hardly the gems of a governess.
The jewels you are not wearing tell us more.
Watson: Holmes...
Holmes: You were engaged.
The ring is gone, but the lighter skin suggests [Mary covering her left hand] 
that you spent some time abroad wearing it proudly,
until you were informed of its true, modest worth.
You broke off the engagement and returned to England for better prospects.
A doctor perhaps... [Mary spills her wine to Holmes' face]

Your mistake is to imagine that anything earthly's led to this moment.
Your error of judgement is to assume that I'm holding the brush at all.
I'm merely the channel.
~Lord Blackwell

You and I are bound together on ajourney that will twist the very fabric of nature.
But beneath your mask of logic, I sense a fragility.
That worries me.
Steel your mind, Holmes, I need you.
~Lord Blackwell

Death is only the beginning.
~Lord Blackwell

Holmes: She's intimidated. She's scared of him.
Watson: Yet, she works for him.
Holmes: Right.
Watson: It's nothing to do with me but I advised you leave the case alone.

Watson: You really believe he was resurrected?
Holmes: The question is not if, but how.
The game's afoot...
Watson: Follow your spirit...
Watson & Holmes: And upon this charge, cry "God for Harry, England and St. George."

Watson: You know, Holmes, I've seen things in war I don't understand.
In India, I one met a man who predicted his own death 
right down to the number and the placement of the bullets that killed him.
You have to admit, Holmes, that a supernatural explanation to this case is theoretically possible.
Holmes: Agreed.
But it's a huge mistake to theorize before one has data.
Inevitably one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.


Watson: I've been reviewing my notes on our exploits over the last 7 months.
Would you like to know my conclusion?
 I am psychologically disturbed.
Holmes: How so?
Watson: Why else would I continually be led into situations 
where you deliberately withhold you plans from me? Why else?
Holmes: You've never complained about my methods before.
Watson: I'm not complaining.
Holmes: What do you call this?
Watson: How am I complaining? I never complain.
Do I complain about you practicing the violin at 3 in the morning...
or your mess, your lack of hygiene,
or the fact that you steal my clothes?
Holmes: We have a barter system.
Watson: Do I complain about you setting fire to my rooms?
Holmes: Our rooms.
Watson: The room...
When do I complain that you experiment on my dog?
Holmes: Our dog.
Watson: On the dog.
Holmes: Gladstone is our dog.
Watson: Where I do take issue is your campaign to sabotage my relationship with Mary.

Sir Thomas: Mr. Holmes, I'm sorry to summoning you like this.
I'm sure it's quite a mystery as to where you are and who I am.
Holmes: As to where I am, I was admittedly, lost for a moment between Charing Cross and Holborn.
But I was saved by the bread shop on Saffron Hill, 
the only baker to use a certain French glaze on their loaves, a Brittany sage.
After that the carriage forked left, then right, a tell tale bump over the Fleet Conduit.
As as to who you are, that took every ounce of my not inconsiderable experience.
The letters on your desk are addressed to Sir Thomas Rotheram.
Lord Chief Justice, that'd be your official title.
Who you really are is, of course, another matter entirely.
Judging by the sacred ox on your ring, you're the head of The Temple of The Four Orders
in whose headquarters we now sit, 
on the northwest corner of St. James' Square, I think.
As to the mystery, the only mystery is why you bothered to blindfold me at all.
Sir Thomas: Standard procedure, I suppose.

Fear is the more infectious condition.
~Sherlock Holmes

Sir Thomas: We want you to find him and stop him before he does.
Lord Coward: We'll give you any assistance that we can.
As Home Secretary, I have considerable influence over the police.
So... name your price.
Holmes: The benefit of being a consulting detective is that I can pick and choose my clients.
So, consider it done, I'll stop him.
But not for you, [to Sir Thomas]
and certainly not for a price. [to Lord Coward]

Crime is common, logic is rare.
The decent thing to do is to catch the killer, not provide comfort for the corpse.
~Sherlock Holmes



This is not your responsibilty, it was his choice.
He'd say that it was worth the wounds.
Solve this, whatever it takes.
~Mary Mortsan, to Sherlock Holmes

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise.
~Lord Coward

Fear being the most powerful weapon of all.
~Sherlock Holmes


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment