OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL [2003]

Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL [2003]

Prepare To Be Blown Out Of The Water


Governor Swann: Commodore Norrington is going to be very pleased with this.
Do pass my compliments on to your master.
Will: I shall. 
A craftsman is always pleased to hear his work is appreciated.

 Norrington: Well, well, Jack Sparrow, isn't it?
 Jack: Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please, sir.
Norrington: I don't see your ship, Captain.
Jack: I'm in the market, as it were. 
Mullroy, to Murtogg: Told you he was telling the truth.
[to Norrington] These are his, Sir.
Norrington, pick up the gun: No additional shot nor powder.
[pick up the compass] A compass that doesn't point North.
[to the sword] And I half expected it to be made of wood.
You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of.
Jack: But you have heard of me.

Elizabeth: Pirate or not, this man saved my life.
Norrington: One good deed is not enough to redeem a man a lifetime of wickedness.
Jack: Though it seems enough to condemn him.
Norrington: Indeed.

Elizabeth: You're despicable.
Jack: Sticks and stones, love.
I saved your life, you save mine, we're square.
 Gentlemen, milady, you will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow.

Jack, in fight, about the swords: Who makes all these?
Will: I do. And I practiced with them 3 hours a day.
Jack: You need to find yourself a girl, mate.
[they fight]
Jack: Or perhaps the reason you practice 3 hours a day is that you found one 
and are otherwise incapable of woofing said trumpet.
You're not a eunuch, are you?
Will: I practice 3 hours a day so when I met a pirate, I can kill it!

I trust you will remember this is the day that Captain Jack Sparrow almost escaped.
~Commodore Norrington

Jack: It's the Pearl.
Pirate #1: The Black Pearl?
I've heard stories. She's been preying on ships and settlements for near 10 years.
Never leaves any survivors.
Jack: No survivors? Then where do the stories come from, I wonder?


[as Pintel and Ragetti rush to the cupboard]
Elizabeth: Parley. I invoke the right of parley.
According to the Code of the Brethren set down by the pirates Morgan and Bartholomew,
you have to take me to your captain.
Pintel: I know the code.
Elizabeth: If an adversary demands parley, you can do them no harm until the parley is complete.
 Ragetti: To the blazes of the code.
Pintel: She wants to be taken to the captain. And she'll go without a fuss.
We must honor the code.

Elizabeth: You have to take me to shore. According to the code...
Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiation nor our agreement.
So I must do nothing.
Secondly, you must be a pirate for The Pirate's Code to apply, and you're not.
And thirdly, The Code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules.
Welcome aboard The Black Pearl, Miss Turner.

Will: That's not good enough!
Norrington: Mr. Turner, you are not a military man, you are not a sailor.
You are a blacksmith.
And this is not the moment for rash actions.
Do not make the mistake of thinking you are the only man here who cares for Elizabeth.

Will: You, Sparrow, you are familiar with that ship, The Black Pearl.
Jack: I've heard of it.
Will: Where does it make berth?
Jack: Where does it make berth? Have you not heard the stories?
Captain Barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded Isla De Muerta.
It's an island that cannot be found, except by those who already know where it is.
Will: The ship's real enough. It's anchorage must be a real place. Where is it?
Jack: Why ask me?
Will: Because you're a pirate.
Jack: And you want to turn pirate yourself, is that it?
Will: Never.

Gillette: This ship cannot be crewed by 2 men. You'll never make it out of the bay.
Jack: Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow. Savvy?

Officer: Run out the guns!
[to Norrington] We are to fire on our own ship, Sir?
Norrington: I'd rather see her at the bottom of the ocean than in the hands of a pirate.

Will: You knew my father.
Jack: I knew him. Probably one of the few who knew his as William Turner.
Everyone else called him Bootstrap or Bootstrap Bill.
Will: Bootstrap?
Jack: Good man, good pirate. I swear you look just like him.
Will: It's not true. He was a merchant sailor. A good respectable man who obeyed the law.
Jack: He was a bloody pirate. A scallywag.

The only rules that really matter are these. What a man can do and what a man can't do.
For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man, or you can't.
Pirate is in your blood, so you'll have to square with that someday.
Now me for example. I can let you drown, but I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesy, savvy?
So, can you sail under the command of a pirate? Or can you not?
~Captain Jack Sparrow


Gibbs: What makes you think Barbossa will give up his ship to you?
Jack: Let's just say it's a matter of leverage.
[point to Will with his head]
Gibbs: The kid?
Jack: That is the child of Bootstrap Bill Turner. His only child, savvy?
Gibbs: Is he, now?
"Leverage", says you.
"I think I feel a change in the wind," says I.

Barbossa: You don't know what this is, do you?
Elizabeth: It's a pirate medallion.
Barbossa: This is Aztec gold. 
One of 882 identical pieces they delivered in a stone chest to Cortes himself.
Blood money paid to stem the slaughter, he wreaked upon them with his armies.
But the greed of Cortes was insatiable.
So the heathen gods placed upon the gold a terrible curse.
Any mortal that removes but a single piece from that stone chest shall be punished for eternity.
Elizabeth: I hardly believe in ghost stories anymore, Captain Barbossa.
Barbossa: Aye. That's exactly what I thought when we were first told the tale.
Buried on an island of dead what cannot be found, except for those who know where it is.
Find it, we did. There be the chest. Inside be the gold. And we took them all.
We spent them and traded them and frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company.
The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize, 
the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, 
and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust.
We are cursed men, Miss Turner.
Compelled by greed, we were, but now we are consumed by it.
There is one way we can end our curse.
All the scattered pieces of the Aztec gold must be restored and the blood repaid.
Thanks to ye, we have the final piece.
Elizabeth: And the blood to be repaid?
Barbossa: That's why there's no sense to be killin' you... yet.

Look, the moonlight shows us for what we really are.
We are not among the living, and so we cannot die. But neither are we dead.
For too long I've been parched and unable to quench it.
Too long I've been starving to death and haven't died.
I feel nothing.
Not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea, nor the warmth of a woman's flesh.
You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner, you're in one!
~Captain Barbossa


Will: How can we sail to an island that nobody can find, with a compass that doesn't work?
Gibbs: Aye, the compass doesn't point north, but we're not trying to find north, are we?


Will: What code is Gibbs to keep to if the worst should happen?
Jack: Pirate's Code. Any man who falls behind, is left behind.
Will: No heroes amongst thieves, eh.


Jack: For having such a bleak outlook on pirates, you're well on your way to becoming one.
Sprung a man from jail, commandeered a ship of the fleet, 
sailed with a buccaneer crew out of Tortuga, and you're completely obsessed with treasure.
Will: That's not true. I am not obsessed with treasure.
Jack: Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.


[Jack been surrounded by the pirates]
Jack: Palulay.
Palu-li-la-la-lulu.
Parlili. Parsnip, parsley, partner, partner...
Ragetti: Parley?
Jack: That's the one! Parley!
Pintel: Parley? Damn to the depths whatever man that thought up 'parley'!
Jack: That would be the French.


Barbossa: How the blazes did you get off that island?
Jack: When you marooned me on that godforsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate.
I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.



[see Elizabeth burns the rum's crates]
Jack: No! Not good! Stop! Not good!
What are you doing? You burned all the food, the shade! The rum!
Elizabeth: Yes, the rum is gone.
Jack: Why is the rum gone?
Elizabeth: One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into scoundrels.
Two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out looking for me.
Do you think there is even the slightest chance they won't see it?
Jack: But why is the rum gone?

Elizabeth: But we've got to save Will.
Governor Swann: No. You're safe now. We will return to Port Royal, not go gallivanting after pirates!
Elizabeth: Then we condemn him to death.
Governor Swann: The boy's fate is regrettable, but so was his decision to engage in piracy.
Elizabeth: To rescue me. To prevent anything from happening to me.

Will: You knew William Turner?
Pintel: Ol' Bootstrap Bill. We knew him.
Never sat well with Bootstrap, what we did to Jack Sparrow. The mutiny and all.
He said it wasn't right with the code.
That's why he sent off a piece of the treasure to you.
He said we deserved to be cursed. And remain cursed.
Ragetti: Stupid blighter.
Gibbs: Good man.
Pintel: Well, as you can imagine, that didn't sit too well with the captain.
Ragetti: That didn't sit to well with the captain at all.
Pintel: So, what the captain did, he strapped a cannon to Bootsrap's bootsraps.
And last we saw of Ol' Bill Turner, he was sinking to the crushing, black oblivion of Davy Jones' locker.
'Course it was only after that we learned we needed his blood to lift the curse.
Ragetti: That's what you call ironic.

Barbossa: I must admit, Jack, I thought I had you figured. 
But it turns out you're a hard man to predict.
Jack: Me? I'm dishonest.
And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch for, 
because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly stupid.

Barbossa: So what now, Jack Sparrow?
Are we to be 2 immortals locked in an epic battle until judgement day and trumpets sound?
Jack: Or you could surrender.

Jacoby, rush to Will: I'm gonna teach you the meaning of pain.
Elizabeth appears suddenly: You like pain? [hit Jacoby in the head] Try wearing a corset.

[Jack shot the gun to Barbossa]
Barbossa, to Jack: 10 years you carry that pistol, and now you waste your shot.
Will: He didn't waste it.
[Will drop the Cortes' coins with his blood all over them]


Norrington: I thought we might endure some ill-conceived escape attempt.
But not from you.
Governor Swann: On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency.
And this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with him? He's a pirate.
Will: And a good man.
If  all I have achieved is the hangman will earn 2 pairs of boots instead of one, so be it.
My conscience will be clear.
Norrington: You forget your place, Turner.
Will: It's right here between you and Jack.
Elizabeth: As is mine.
Norrington: So this is where your heart truly lies, then?
Elizabeth: It is.

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy,
piracy itself can be the right course?
~Governor Swann

Jack: Thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment