OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MINE [2004]

Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MINE [2004]

 I Already Forget How I Used To Feel About You
Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004.
Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.
~Joel Barish

The first thing we need you to do, Mr. Barish, 
is to go home and collect everything you own that has some association with Clementine.
Anything.
And we'll use these items to create a map of Clementine in your brain, okay?
So, we'll need photos, clothing, gifts, books she may have bought you,
CDs you may have bought together, journal entries.
We want to empty your home, we want to empty your life of Clementine.
And after the mapping is done, our technicians will do the erasing in your home tonight.
That way, when you awake in the morning, 
you'll find yourself in your own bed as if nothing had happened,
a new life awaiting you.
~Dr. Mierzwiak

Look at it out here, it's all falling apart!
I'm erasing you, and I'm happy.
You did it to me first!
I can't believe you did this to me.
Clem, can you hear me?
By morning you'll be gone.
The perfect ending to this piece-of-shit story!
~Joel Barish

You don't tell me things, Joel.
I'm an open book, I tell you everything.
You don't trust me.
~Clementine Kruczynski


Am I ugly?
When I was a kid, I thought I was.
Sometimes I think people don't understand how lonely it is to be a kid.
Like you don't matter.
So, I'm 8, and I have these toys, these dolls.
My favorite is this ugly girl doll who I call Clementine.
And I keep yelling at her, "You can't be ugly! Be pretty!"
It's weird.
Like if I can transform her, I would magically change too.
~Clementine Kruczynski




 Hide me somewhere deeper, somewhere really buried.
Hide me in your humiliation.
~Clementine Kruczynski



Clementine: Didn't figure you'd show your face around me again.
I guess I thought you were humiliated.
You did run away, after all.
Joel: I just needed to see you.
I'd like to take you out or something.
Clementine: You're married.
Joel: Not yet. Not married. No, I'm not married.
Clementine: Look man, I'm telling you right off the bat I'm high maintenance,
so I'm not gonna tiptoe around your marriage, or whatever it is you've got going there.
If you wanna be with me, you're with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them,
or I'm gonna make them alive.
But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's looking for my own peace of mind.
Don't assign me yours.
Joel: I remember that speech really well.
Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
I still thought you were gonna save my life, even after that.
It would be different if we could just give it another go around.
Remember me. Try your best.
Clementine: Maybe we can.

Clementine: This is it, Joel, it's gonna be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.

Joel: I've gotta catch my ride.
Clementine: So go.
Joel: I did.
I thought maybe you were a nut, but you were exciting.
Clementine: I wish you'd stayed.
Joel: I wish I'd stayed too. Now I wish I'd stayed.
I wish I'd done a lot of things.
Oh, God, I wish I had... I wish I'd stayed. I do.
Clementine: Well, I came back downstairs and you were gone.
Joel: I walked out, I walked out the door.
Clementine: Why?
Joel: I don't know. I felt like a scared little kid. I was like...
It was above my head, I don't know.
Clementine: You were scared?
Joel: Yeah. Thought you knew that about me.
I ran back to the bonfire trying to outrun my humiliation, I think.
Clementine: Was it something I said?
Joel: Yeah. You said, "So go"... with such disdain, you know.
Clementine: Oh, I'm sorry.
Joel: It's okay.
Clementine: Joely, what if you stayed this time?
Joel: I walked out the door. There's no memory left.
Clementine: Come back and make up a good-bye, at least.
Let's pretend we have one.
Bye, Joel.
Joel: I love you.
Clementine, whispering: Meet me in Mantouk.

Clementine: I'm not a concept, Joel.
I'm just a fucked-up girl who's looking for my own peace of mind.
I'm not perfect.
Joel: I can't see anything that I don't like about you.
Clementine: But you will.
Joel: Right now I can't.
Clementine: But you will. You will think of things,
and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
Joel: Okay.
Clementine: Okay.




*****

No comments:

Post a Comment