OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: JERRY MAGUIRE [1996]

Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

JERRY MAGUIRE [1996]

Jerry Maguire
The Journey is Everything


I'm the guy you don't usually see.
I'm the one behind the scenes.
I'm the sports agent.
~Jerry Maguire

No one said winning is cheap.
~Jerry Maguire

I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe,
playing a sega game featuring while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you,
broadcast during the superbowl in a game you are winning.
I will not sleep until that happens.
I'll give you 15 minutes to call me back.
~Jerry Maguire

The key to this business is personal relationship.
~Dickie Fox

The answer is... fewer clients, less money.
Caring for them, caring for ourselves, and the games too.
~Jerry Maguire

Rod: But I like you. Yes, I like you, Jerry.
My wife likes you. You're good to my wife.
I will stay with you.
Jerry: That's great. I'm very happy.
Rod: Are you listening?
Jerry: Yes...
Rod: That's what I'm gonna do for you.
God bless you, Jerry.
But this is what you're gonna do for me.
You listening, Jerry?
Jerry: Yeah, wh-what can I do for you, Rod?
Just tell me, what can I do for you?
Rod: It's a very personal, very important thing.
It's a family motto. 
Are you ready?
Jerry: I'm ready.
Rod: Wanna make sure you're ready. Here it is...
Show me the money. Money!
Jerry, doesn't that make you feel good just to say that?
Say it with me one time, Jerry.
Jerry: Show you the money.
Rod: Oh no no... you can do better than that, Jerry.
Say it with meaning, brother.
I got Bob Sugar on the other line.
I better hear you say it.
Jerry: Show you the money.
Rod: Not show you... Show me the money.
Jerry: Show me the money.
Rod: Yeah, louder!
Jerry: Show me the money!
Rod: That's it! But you got to yell that shit!
Jerry, yelling: SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Rod: I need to feel you, Jerry.
Jerry, getting louder: SHOW ME THE MONEY! SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Rod: You love this black man?
Jerry: I LOVE THIS BLACK MAN! SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Rod: I love black people.
Jerry: I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE!
Rod: Who's your motherfucker, Jerry?
Jerry: YOU'RE MY MOTHERFUCKER!
 Rod: What you gonna do, Jerry?
Jerry: SHOW ME THE MONEY!
Rod: Congratulations, you're still my agent!

Avery: Function function function. Forward motion is everything.
Cush saves all.
You go to Texas. You keep one superstar, and they'll all follow.
There's no real loyalty. None!
And the first person who told me that, Jerry Maguire, was you.
Jerry: I think I was trying to sleep with you at the time.
Avery: Well, it worked.
And I will not let you fail! You are Jerry ma-fucking-guire.
Jerry: That's right.
Avery: King of the house calls. Master of the living room.
Jerry: Okay, okay, this is working... this is working.
Avery: You are not a loser.
Jerry: Who said anything about loser?
Avery: Mistake... I meant something else.

Jerry: We're gonna go downstairs and walk through this lobby.
I want every media guy, every player's rep, everybody, to see you for what you are.
The best kept secret in the NFL.
The most commanding wide receiver in the game.
You are fast, fierce, wildly charismatic.
You are the man. You are the man.
Are you ready?
Rod: Let's do it!

Rod: You're lovin' me now, aren't you?
Jerry: I'm not about love. I'm about showing you the money.
Rod: I was just testing you, Jerry.
But to hear you say that makes me love you, baby.

Avery: What was our deal when we first got together?
Brutal truth, remember?
Jerry: I think you added the 'brutal'.
Avery: Jerry, there is a sensitivity thing that some people have.
I don't have it.
I don't cry at movies, I don't gush over babies, 
I don't start celebrating Christmas 5 months early!
And I don't tell a man who just screwed up both our lives, 'oh, poor baby'.
That's me, for better or worse. But I do love you.
Jerry: Avery...
Avery: No! [turn around from Jerry]
Jerry: It's over.
Avery: Didn't hear it!
Jerry: There's something missing here, don't you think?
Avery: You have never been alone.
Jerry: Listen to me...
Avery: And you can't be alone.
Jerry: It's over.

Anybody else would've left you by now.
But I'm sticking with you. I said I would.
If I got to ride your ass like zorro, you're gonna show me the money.
~Rod Tidwell
Jerry: Somebody was always to blame.
You go for it like you do a job, work at it.
Dorothy: But maybe, love shouldn't be such hard work.
Men are different people when they're hanging onto the bottom rung.
~Laurel Boyd
I love him, I do, I love him.
And I don't care what you think.
I love him for the... for the man he wants to be.
And I loved him for the man that he almost is.
I love him, Laurel.
I love him, I love him.
~Dorothy Boyd
Jerry: You wanna leave me?
Marcee: A lot of agents say a lot of shits! So what do you stand for?
Jerry: You wanna leave me?
Marcee: What do you stand for?
Dorothy, interrupted: How about a little piece of integrity...
in this world that's so full of greed and lack of honorability that I don't know what to tell my son,
except here, "Have a look at a guy who isn't yelling 'Show me the money'?"
You know he's broke?
He is broke and working for you free! 
Broke!
Broke, broke, broke!
I'm sorry, I'm just not as good at the insults as she is.
Marcee: No, that was pretty good.
Rod: No shit!

You bet on me like I bet on you.
~Rod Tidwell

Rod: Do you love her?
Jerry: How do I know?
Rod: What do you mean? You know when you know.
Jerry: I don't want her to go.
I've been hanging out at her place a lot.
Rod: Oh wait wait, that right there, that's bullshit!
You gotta be fair to her.
A single mother, man, that's a sacred thing.
You gotta have 'the talk'.
She loves you.
If you don't love her, you've got to tell her.

Look, if this weekend should turn into next month,
and next month should turn into whatever,
don't make a joke of your life.
Go back and read what you wrote.
You're better than the rest of them.
You're better than Bob Sugars.
Don't forget that.
~Dorothy Boyd

You fuck this up, I'll kill you.
~Laurel, to Jerry, after wedding ceremony

Rod: I'm just trying to talk to you, how's your marriage?
You know, the husband and the wife thing?
How is that?
Jerry: Not everyone has what you have.
Rod: Then why did you get married? 
I'm just asking as a friend.
Jerry: You want an answer?
Loyalty. She was loyal.
I mean, you know, everything grew from there.

I'll tell you why you don't have your 10 million dollars yet.
Right now, you are a paycheck player.
You play with your head, not your heart.
In your personal life, heart.
But when you get on the field, it's all about what you didn't get, who's to blame, 
who under-threw the pass, who's got the contract you don't, who's not giving you your love...
You know what, that is not what inspires people.
Just shut up!
Play the game! Play it from your heart!
And you know what, I will show you the kwan.
And that's the truth, man, that's the truth.
Can you handle it?
It's just a question between friends.
~Jerry Maguire

I've got this great guy,
and he loves my kid,
and he sure does like me a lot,
and I can't live like that.
It's not how I'm built.
~Dorothy Boyd

[points to heart] If this is empty,
[points to head] this doesn't matter.
~Dicky Fox

Jerry, in the crowd of arguing: Hello... hello... I'm looking for my wife.
[Dorothy stands from the floor, got puzzled and trying to leave the room]
Wait wait... okay, if this is where it has to happen, then this is where it has to happen.
I'm not letting you get rid of me, how about that?
[everyone looking at him]
This used to be my speciality.
I was good in the living room.
They send me in there, and I'd do it alone.
And now I just... I don't know. [sighs]
But tonight, our little project, our company, had a very big night.
A very, very big night.
But it wasn't complete.
It wasn't nearly close to being in the same vicinity as complete
because I couldn't share it with you.
I couldn't hear your voice, or laugh about it with you.
I miss my wife.
We live in a cynical world, a cynical... world.
And we work in a business of tough competitors.
I love you.
You... complete me.
I'm not just...
Dorothy: Shut up... just shut up.
You had me at hello.
You had me at hello.


I don't have all the answers.
In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I've succedded.
But I love my wife, I love my life, and I wish you my kind of success.
~Dicky Fox



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment