OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: VAN HELSING [2004]

Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

VAN HELSING [2004]

The One Name They All Fear



Count Dracula: The time has come for me to take command of him.
Dr. Victor: What are you saying?
Count Dracula: Why do you think I brought you here?
Gave you this castle? Equipped your laboratory?
Dr. Victor: You said you believed in my work.
Count Dracula: And I do.
But now that it is, as you yourself have said, a triumph of science over God,
it must now serve my purpose.

Dr. Victor, about Frankenstein: I could never allow him to be used for such evil.
Count Dracula: I could.

You can't kill me, Victor. I'm already dead.
~Count Vladislaus Dracula

Van Helsing: Bless me, Father, for I have...
Cardinal Jinette: Sinned! Yes, I know. You're very good at that.
You shattered The Rose Window.
Van Helsing: No to split hairs, sir, but Mr. Hyde did the shattering.
Cardinal Jinette: 13th century. Over 600 years old. I wish you a week in hell for that.
Van Helsing: It would be a nice reprieve.
Cardinal Jinette: Don't get me wrong.
Your results are unquestionable, but your methods attract far too much attention.
"Wanted" posters? We are not pleased.
Van Helsing: Do you think I like being the most wanted man in Europe?
Why don't you and the order do something about it?
Cardinal Jinette: Because we do not exist.
Van Helsing: Well, then neither do I.

Cardinal Jinette: When we found you crawling up the steps of this church, half-dead,
it was clear to all of us that you had been sent to do God's work.
Van Helsing: Why can't He do it Himself?
Cardinal Jinette: Don't blaspheme!
You already lost your memory as a penance for past sins.
If you wish to recover it, I suggest you continue to heed the call.

Cardinal Jinette: Governments and emperors come and go,
but we have kept mankind safe since time immemorial.
We are the last defense against evil.
An evil that the rest of mankind has no idea even exists.
Van Helsing: To you, these monsters are just evil beings to be vanquished.
I'm the one standing there when they die and become the men they once were.
Cardinal Jinette: For you, my good son, this is all a test of faith.

Cardinal Jinette: Romania.
An accursed land terrorized by all sorts of nightmarish creatures.
Lorded over by a certain Count Dracula.
You've never faced one like this before.
Our story begins 450 years ago,
when a Transylvanian knight named Valerious the Elder
promised God that his family would never rest nor enter heaven
until they vanquished Dracula from their land.
They have not succeeded, and they are running out of family.
His descendant, Boris Valerious, King of the Gypsies, disappeared almost 12 months ago.
His only son, Prince Velkan, and his daughter, Princess Anna.
If the 2 of them are killed before Dracula is vanquished, 
9 generations of their family will never enter the gates of St. Peter.
For more than 4 centuries, this family has defended our left flank.
They gave their lives. We cannot let them slip into purgatory.
Van Helsing: So you're sending me into hell.

Carl: Why is it so important to kill this Dracula, anyway?
Van Helsing: Because he's the son of the devil.
Carl: I mean, besides that.
Van Helsing: If we kill him, anything bitten or created by him will also die.
Carl: I mean, besides that.

Villager: He killed the bride! You killed Marishka! You killed a vampire!
Carl: But, isn't that a good thing?
Top Hat: Vampires only kill what they need to survive, one or two people a month.
Now they will kill for revenge.
Carl, to Van Helsing: Are you always this popular?
Van Helsing: Pretty much.
Top Hat: So, what name, my good sir, do I carve on your gravestone?
Anna: His name is Van Helsing.
[to Van Helsing] Your reputation precedes you.
Van Helsing: Next time stay close. You're no good to me dead.
Anna: Well, I'll say this for you, you've got courage.
[to the villagers] He's the first one to kill a vampire in over 100 years.
I'd say that's earned him a drink.

Count Dracula: Why can't they just leave us alone?
We never kill more than our fill and less than our share, can they say the same?
Did I not stress how important it was to be finished with Anna Valerious
before she destroys what we are trying to create?
Verona: We lost Marishka.
Count Dracula: There, there, my darlings, do not worry. I shall find another bride.
Aleera: What? Do we mean so little to you?
Verona: Have you no heart?
Count Dracula: No, I have no heart! I feel no love, nor fear, nor joy, nor sorrow!
I am hollow!
And I will live forever.
Verona: It is no so bad.


 Van Helsing: I can help you.
Anna: No one can help me.
Van Helsing: I can try.
Anna: You can die trying. All of my family has. I can handle this myself.
Van Helsing: So I noticed.
Anna: The vampires attacked in daylight. They never do that.
I was unprepared. It won't happen again.
Van Helsing: So why did they attack in daylight?
Anna: Clearly they wanted to catch me off guard.
They seem almost desperate to finish off my family.
Van Helsing: Why is that? Why now?
Anna: You ask a lot of questions.
Van Helsing: Usually I ask only 2, what are we dealing with and how do I kill it?
Anna: My father spent most of his life looking for answers year after year.
Tearing through the tower, combing through the family archives...
Van Helsing: The only way to save your family is to stay alive till Dracula's killed.
Anna: And who will kill him if not me?
Who will show courage if not me?
Van Helsing: Go alone and you'll be outmanned and outpositioned.
And you can't see in the dark.
In the morning we will hunt him, but we'll do it together.

 
Carl: Why does it smell like wet dog in here?Van Helsing: Werewolf!
Carl: Well, you'll be needing silver bullets, then.

Top Hat: I see the wolfman hasn't killed you yet.
Van Helsing: Don't worry, he's getting to it. You don't seem to bothered.
Top Hat: I'm no threat to him. 
I'm just the one who cleans up after him, if you get my meaning.
Van Helsing: Little late to be digging graves, isn't it?
Top Hat: Never too late to dig graves. You never know when you'll need a fresh one.

Van Helsing: He's not your brother anymore, Anna!
Anna: You knew? Before or after I stopped you from shooting him?
Van Helsing: Before.
Anna: And still you tried to kill him!
Van Helsing: He's a werewolf! He's gonna kill people!
Anna: He can't help it! It's not his fault!
Van Helsing: I know, but he'll do it anyway!
Anna: Do you understand forgiveness?
Van Helsing: Yes, I ask for it often.

Anna: They say Dracula has a cure.If there's a chance I can save my brother, I'm going after it.
Van Helsing: I need to find Dracula.
Anna: I need to find my brother!
He gave his life for me. He's the only family I have left.
I despise Dracula more than you can ever imagine.
He has taken everything from me, leaving me alone in this world.


To have memories of those you loved and lost, 
is perhaps harder than to have no memories at all.
~Van Helsing

Anna: For me, this is all personal. It's all about family and honor.
Why do you do it, this job of yours? What do you hope to get out of it?
Van Helsing: I don't know. Maybe some self-realization.
Anna: What have you got out of it so far?
Van Helsing: Nightmares.

Werewolves only shed before the first full moon.
Before the curse has completely consumed them.
~Anna Valerious

 I'm hoping, with werewolf venom running through your veins, you will be of greater benefit!~Count Vladislaus Dracula, to Velkan Valerious

Dwergi. Dracula's servants.
Industrious but extremely vicious.
If you get the chance to kill one, do it, because they'll do worse to you.
~Anna Valerious

Anna: What do you think they are?
Van Helsing: Offspring. A man with 3 gorgeous women for 400 years.
Anna: Yes, vampires are the walking dead.
It only makes sense their children are born dead.
Van Helsing: He's obviously trying to bring them to life.

I can tell the character of a man by the sound of his heartbeat.
Usually when I approach, I can almost dance to the beat.
Strange that yours is so steady.
~Count Vladislaus Dracula

Count Dracula, after Van Helsing stabbed him with silver stake: Hello, Gabriel.
How long has it been, three 400 years?
You don't remember, do you?
Van Helsing: Exactly, what is it that I should remember?
Count Dracula: You are the great Van Helsing.
Trained by monks and mullahs from Tibet to Istanbul, protected by Rome herself.
But, like me, hunted by all others.
Van Helsing: The Knights Of The Holy Order know all about you.
It's no surprise you would know about me.
Count Dracula: Yes, but it much more than this.
We have such history, you and I, Gabriel.
Have you ever wondered why you have such horrible nightmares? 
Horrific scenes of ancient battles past.
Van Helsing: How do you know me?
Count Dracula: So, would you like me to refresh your memory a little?
A few details from your sordid past.
[Van Helsing show him the crucifix, but Count Dracula hold and burn it easily]
Perhaps that is a conversation for another time.
Allow me to reintroduce myself.
I am Count Vladislaus Dragulia.
Born 1422, murdered 1462.


Anna: A silver stake? A crucifix?
What, did you think we haven't tried everything before?
We've shot him, stabbed him, clubbed him, sprayed him with holy water,
staked him through the heart, and still he lives, do you understand?!
No one knows how to kill Dracula.
Van Helsing: Well, I could have used that information a little earlier.

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night
may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the moon is shining bright
Or crave another's blood when the sun go down and his body takes to flight

Van Helsing: There's something down here, and it's carnivorous.
Whatever it is, it appears to be human.
I'd say he's a size 17, around 360 pounds, 8.5 to 9 feet tall.
He has a bad gimp in his right leg and 3 copper teeth.
Anna: How do you know he has copper teeth?
Van Helsing: Because he's standing right behind you.

 Anna: Oh, my God... a Frankenstein's monster!
Frankenstein: Monster?! Who's the monster here?!
I have done nothing wrong and yet you and your kind all wish me dead!

Anna: What do you want?
Frankenstein: To exist.

Anna: We must kill it!
Van Helsing: Wait!
Frankenstein: If you value your lives and the lives of your kind, you will kill me.
Van Helsing, as Anna cock his gun: No!
Frankenstein: If Dracula finds me... 
I am the key to my father's machine. The key to life. Life for Dracula's children.
Van Helsing: He already awakened them last night.
Frankenstein: Two. And those were from only one bride. From one single birthing.
And they died as they did the last time he tried.
Only with me can he give them lasting life.
Van Helsing: There are more? More of those things?
Frankenstein: Thousands... thousands more.


Van Helsing, as Anna try to shot Frankenstein: No!
Anna: You heard what he said.
Van Helsing: My life, my job is to vanquish evil. I can sense evil.
This thing... man... whatever it is, evil may have created it, may have left its mark on it.
But evil does not rule it, so I cannot kill it.
Anna: I can.
Van Helsing: Not while I'm here.
Anna, your family has spent 400 years trying to kill Dracula.
Maybe this poor creature can help us find a way.

Van Helsing: Listen, Carl, whatever you do, don't stare at him.
Carl, as he first saw Frankenstein: I'm staring at him. Is that a man?
Van Helsing: Actually, 7 men. Parts, anyway.
Frankenstein: By exposing me, you have condemned me! Me and all of humanity!

Anna, after Van Helsing shot Velkan: You killed him! You killed him!
Van Helsing: Now you know why they call me murderer.

He has been bitten. Bitten by a werewolf.
Now you will become that which you have hunted so passionately.
May others be as passionate in their hunting of you.
~Frankenstein

Carl: I'm sure this some sort of sin.
Van Helsing: God will forgive us. We need to save Anna.
Carl: How many commandments can we break in one day?

Carl: Anyway, according to the book
you won't turn into a werewolf until the rising of your first full moon.
That's 2 nights from now.
You'll still be able to fight Dracula's hold over you until the final stroke of midnight.
Van Helsing: So I have nothing to worry about.
Carl: My God, you should be terrified.
We still have 48 hours to find a solution.

Anna: I won't let you trade me, Count.
Count Dracula: I have no intention of trading you.
And if I know Van Helsing, which I do, he is not planning on making a trade, either.
Neither of us has ever settled for half.

I'm looking for a new bride, Anna, someone strong and beautiful.
One brief moment of pain, and we can be together forever.
~Count Vladislaus Dracula

Anna: You have no heartbeat.
Count Dracula: Perhaps it's just need to be rekindled.

You wretched undead! I shall have my revenge!
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil."
You are nothing but damned bones and damned souls
and will burn in the flames of Hell!
~Frankenstein

Van Helsing: I must save him.
Carl: No, you can't.
 Van Helsing: Why?
Carl: I cabled Rome earlier to apprise them of our situation.
Van Helsing: What did they say?
Carl: Even if you kill Dracula, Rome orders you to destroy Frankenstein as well.
Van Helsing: He's not evil.
Carl: But they say he isn't human, either.
Van Helsing: Do they know him? Have they spoken to him? Who are they to judge?
Carl: They want you to destroy him so he can never be used to harm humanity.
Van Helsing: What of me? Did you tell them what I'm to become?
Did they tell you how to kill me?
The correct angle of the stake as it enters my heart?
The exact measure of silver in each bullet?
Carl: No, I left you out!

Van Helsing: Okay, Carl, what have you learned?
Carl: That Count Dracula was actually the son of Valerious The Elder.
The son of your ancestor.
Anna: Everybody knows that. What else?
Carl: All right, according to this rubbing, it all started when Dracula was murdered.
Van Helsing: Do you know who murdered him?
Carl: No, there's just some vague reference to the Left Hand of God.
And in 1462, when Dracula died, he made a covenant with the devil.
Van Helsing: And was given a new life.
Anna: But the only way he could sustain that life was by drinking blood.
Carl: Excuse me, are you going to let me tell the story?
Van Helsing: Sorry.
Carl: And your ancestor, having sired this evil creature went to Rome to seek forgiveness.
That's when the bargain was made.
He was to kill Dracula in return for eternal salvation of his entire family
right down the line all the way to you.
Anna: But he couldn't do it.
As evil as Dracula was, my ancestor couldn't kill his own son.
Carl: So he banished him to an icy fortress, sending him through a door from which there was no return.
Anna: And then the devil gave him wings.
Carl: Yes.
Van Helsing: All right, so where is this door?
Carl: I don't know.
But when your ancestor couldn't kill his son, he left clues.
So that future generations might do it for him.
Anna: That must be what my father was looking for in here. Clues to the door's location.
Van Helsing: The door... Of course...
You said your father spent hours staring at this painting, trying to find the lair.
I think you were right, quite literally.
I think this is the door. [about the painting] He just didn't know how to open it.
Carl: Look, a latin inscription. Maybe it works like the painting in the tower.
Anna: If this were a door, my father would have opened it long ago.
Carl: I can't finish the inscription. There's a piece missing.
Van Helsing: Your father didn't have this. [show a piece of drawing]
Anna: Where did you get that?
Van Helsing: Carl, finish it.
[Carl put the piece of drawing to the painting]
Van Helsing: In the name of God, open this door.
[the painting disappear and show a mirror behind it]
Van Helsing: A mirror?
Anna: Dracula has no reflection on the mirror.
Van Helsing: But why?
Carl: Maybe, to Dracula, it's not a mirror at all.

Carl: Do we have a plan?
Doesn't have to be Wellington's at Waterloo, but some sort of plan would be nice.
Van Helsing: We're going to stop Dracula.
Anna: And kill anything in our way.
Carl: Well, you let me know how that goes.

Frankenstein: There is a cure.
Van Helsing: What?
Frankenstein: Dracula. He has a cure to remove the curse of the werewolf!
Go, find the cure! Save yourself!

Anna: Come on, you heard him, let's find it.
Van Helsing: Wait, why Dracula have the cure?
Anna: I don't care.
Van Helsing, to Igor: Why does he need one? Why?
Carl: Because the only thing that can kill him is a werewolf.
The painting. That's what it meant.
Anna: But Dracula's been using werewolves to do his bidding for centuries.
Carl: Yes, but if one ever had the will to turn on him, 
he'd need a cure to remove the curse and make him human before it bit him.

 If you're late, run like hell.
... Don't be late.
~Van Helsing

 What are you complaining about? 
This is why you were made, to prove that God is not the only one who can create life!
And now you must give that life to my children.
~Count Vladislaus Dracula

Frankenstein: Help me....
Carl: But you're suppose to die.
Frankenstein: I want to live.

[as Van Helsing turn into a werewolf]
We are both part of the same grand game, Gabriel.
But we need not find ourselves on opposite sides of the board.
~Count Vladislaus Dracula

Aleera: Anna, my love, it is your blood that shall keep me beautiful.
What do you think of that?
Anna, stab her with silver stake: I think if you're going to kill someone, kill them.
Don't stand there talking about it.

Count Dracula: Did I mention that it was you who murdered me?
It must be such a burden, such a curse, to be The Left Hand of God.
All I want is life, Gabriel, the continuation of my mind, and perhaps the return of my ring.
[Count Dracula shows his amputated ring finger]
Don't be afraid, Gabriel, don't be afraid.
I shall give you back your life, your memory.
Van Helsing: Some things are better left forgotten.

Eternal rest grant unto her, oh, Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her.
On her soul and the souls of all, the dead faithful have mercy.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment