OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE VILLAGE [2004]

Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

THE VILLAGE [2004]

There Is No Turning Back


 

If he dies... all that is life to me will die with him.
[Ivy Walker]

I know why you denied my sister. 
When I was younger... you used to hold my arm when I walked. 
Then suddenly you stopped. 
One day, I even tripped in your presence and nearly fell. 
I was faking, of course, but still you did not hold me. 
Sometimes we don't do things we want to do 
so that others won't know we want to do them.
[Ivy Walker]

I'm not going to tell you what your color is, so stop asking.
[Ivy Walker]

We'll be safe, we have the magic rocks.
[Ivy Walker]


Today at Resting Rock, Noah Percy handed Ivy Walker berries of the bad color. 
When asked where he had found these berries, for they were unlike any I have seen, 
he pointed to the drawing on Resting Rock. 
It is my belief that Noah has entered the woods, and has done so on many occasions. 
It is also my belief that, because of his innocence, 
those creatures who reside in the woods did not harm him. 
This strengthens my feeling that they will let me pass if they sense I am not a threat.
[Lucius Hunt]

My mother is unaware of the reason for my visit today. 
She did not give her consent or consult me in any form. 
The passing of little Daniel Nicholson from illness, 
and other events have weighed on my thoughts. 
I ask permission to cross into the forbidden woods and travel to the nearest town. 
I will gather new medicines, and I will return. 
With regards to Those We Don't Speak Of, I am certain they will let me pass. 
Creatures can sense emotion and fear. 
They will see I am pure of intention and not afraid. The end.
[Lucius Hunt]

We are grateful for the time we have been given.
[Edward Walker]

Who'll pinch me to wake me up? 
Who will laugh at me when I fall? 
Whose breath will I listen for so that I may sleep? 
Whose hand will I hold so that I may walk?
[August Nicholson]

We cannot run from heartache... Heartache is a part of life. We know that now.
[August Nicholson]

It is amazing what two people love chooses to unite. It follows no rules.
[Beatrice]

[Mrs. Clack]: How could you have sent her. She is blind.
[Edward Walker]: She is more capable than most in this village. And she is led by love. 
The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe.


[Ivy Walker]: When we are married, will you dance with me? 
I find dancing very agreeable. 
Why can you not say what is in your head?
[Lucius Hunt]: Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? 
Why must you lead, when I want to lead? 
If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. 
If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. 
Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. 
Why? 
What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? 
What good can come from my saying 
that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? 
What gain can rise of my telling 
you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? 
That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. 
I fear for your safety before all others. 
And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night.

[Mrs. Clack]: My sister did not live passed her 23rd birthday. 
A group of men raped and killed her. 
They stuffed her in a dumpster three blocks from our apartment.
[August Nicholson]: My brother worked in an emergency room downtown. 
A drug addict came in with a wound to his ribs. 
My brother tried to dress the wound. 
He pulled a gun from his jacket and he shot my brother through his left eye.
[Alice Hunt]: My husband, Michael, left for the supermarket at a quarter past 9 in the morning. 
He was found with no money and no clothes in the East River three days later.
[Edward Walker]: My father was shot by a business partner 
who then hanged himself in my father's closet. 
They had argued over money. 
I am a professor. I teach American History at the University of Pennsylvania. 
I have an idea that I would like to talk to you about.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment