OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT [2004]

Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

THE PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT [2004]

You Are Cordially Invited 
To The Royal Event Of The Season


 Of course I'm completely excited to be going back, but I'm also a bit nervous.
Grandma Clarisse will step down by the end of this year as queen,
and I'll be taking over since I'm now 21.
I know I studied diplomacy and political science at school, 
but there was no course in "Queen" or "How To Run A Country 101."
But Grandma's going to help me, and I'll take over when she thinks I'm ready.
Of course I wonder, will I ever be ready?
In the meantime, I'm going to live in a beautiful palace like in a fairy tale,
and eventually sit on a throne and rule the people of Genovia.
Is that scary or what?
~Mia Thermopolis

Viscount Mabrey: So, as of the 20th of October last year, on the occasion of his 21 st birthday,
another Genovian of the royal bloodline became eligible to assume the throne.
My nephew, Lord Devereaux.
Queen Clarisse: I beg your pardon?
Viscount Mabrey: My nephew's mother was my wife's sister.
Therefore, Your Majesty, I am pleased to say that my nephew is ready to take his place
as Genovia's rightful king.
Queen Clarisse: Shut up!
Parliament Member: But isn't Princess Mia first in line to ascend the throne?
Lord Crawley: Not yet. 
Genovian law states that a princess must marry before she can take the throne.
Queen Clarisse: We have never enforced that law.
A man doesn't have to marry to be king.
I mean, this is the 21st century, for heaven's sake.
My granddaughter should be given the same rights as any man.
Lord Palimore: Genovia shall have no queen lest she be bound in matrimony.
That is the law of Genovia for the last 300 years.
Princess Mia is not qualified to rule because she is unmarried.
Forgive me, Your Majesty. 
Not all of us are sure that the princess is the most suitable choice to govern our great nation.

Mia: What kind of person agrees to an arranged marriage?
[Queen Clarisse look at the photo of her and King Renaldi]
Uh... you agreed to an arranged marriage.
Queen Clarisse: Yes, I did. And it turned out quite spendidly.
He was my best friend. We grew very fond of each other.
Mia: Sure, Grandma, but... I dream of love, not fondness.

Mia: Courage is not the absence of fear,
but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
There are 550 years of Renaldis on these walls.
And I will up there next to my father.
I'm sure I want my chance to make a difference as a ruler.
Queen Clarisse: Spoken like a true queen.

Queen Clarisse: Would you care to explain what was going on out there?
Mia: Sorry. I... have met Lord Nicholas, actually. At the ball.
Didn't know who he was, so, you know, we danced and I flirted.
I feel so stupid right now.
Queen Clarisse: Well, as your queen I absolutely cannot condone it.
As a grandma, I say, 'right on'.

Nicholas: Uncle, I hate to say this, but you're wrong.
Princess Mia has managed to find a husband within a week.
Viscount Mabrey: Mia cannot possibly be happy with the idea of an arranged marriage.
Your task is to romance her.
Show her what a real relationship could be like. A relationship filled with heat and passion.
Nicholas: And change her mind about Andrew.
Viscount Mabrey: Exactly.

Power, my boy, means never having to say you're sorry.
~Viscount Mabrey

Mia: The point is that I...
Nicholas: What is the point?
Mia: The point is that I'm onto you...
Oh, boy... am I onto what you are trying to do.
Nicholas: And what am I trying to do?
Mia: I think we both know exactly what that is.

Nicholas: I'm Nick. Viscount Mabrey's nephew.
Andrew: Ah, the chap who's trying to stage the palace coup.
I'm Andrew Jacoby, nice to meet you.
Lilly: Lilly Moscovitz, official best friend of future queen. 
I don't like you.
Nicholas: Pleasure.

 Joe: If you hurt my girl, you will answer directly to me.
And whatever crime I commit against you, remember, I have diplomatic immunity in 46 countries. Including Puerto Rico.
Viscount Mabrey: Sir, you will find that the word 'fear' is not in my vocabulary.
Joe: Perhaps. But it's in your eyes.

Queen Clarisse: Why are you so against Princess Mia being queen?
Nicholas: Well, my uncle feels that Princess Mia doesn't know the people.
Queen Clarisse: And you feel you do know the people?
Nicholas: Yes. I was born here, I went to primary school here. I am a true Genovian.
Mia didn't even know she was Genovian until high school.
And to be frank, she's spent little time here since then.
Queen Clarisse: Well, I happen to feel that she'll make a great ruler.
She's terribly bright, sensitive, caring.
Nicholas: I know that.
Queen Clarisse: You do?
Nicholas: Yes, I do. But... How can one rule the people if they do not know the people?

[after kissing]
Mia: What are you doing? What is wrong with you?
You can't just go around kissing people. Particularly not engaged people.
Nicholas: You enjoyed it. You want to kiss again?
Mia: Well, I... No! Stop trying to confuse me.
Nicholas: What's confusing about a kiss?
Mia: You're just trying to make me like you, so that I won't want to marry Andrew,
and so that you can have the crown, ha!
Nicholas: Maybe I am, and maybe I just like kissing you.

Queen Clarisse: When are you going to start acting responsibility?
Hiding in a closet with a man who is not your betrothed?
Coming out of a fountain dripping wet with the same man, who is not your betrothed?
Mia: Do you think I plan for this kind of stuff to happen?
I lost it. Sometimes you just lose it.
Queen Clarisse: You can't afford to lose it. Other people lose it, we're supposed to find it!
People look up to us, and we're held to higher standards of behavior.
Can you try to grasp that concept?
Mia: The concept is grasped. The execution is a little elusive.


Nicholas: She's smart, she really cares about Genovia, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she ran the country.
Viscount Mabrey: Are you mad?
Nicholas: She believes in Genovia so much that she's convinced herself to marry someone that she knows she can never love.

You chose me and I accepted.
And a gentleman never backs out on his word.
We are going to stand up in church and say "I do" and tomorrow we'll be man and wife.
And you are going to make an amazing queen of Genovia.
~Andrew Jacoby


I made my choice. Duty to my country over love.
It's what I've always done, it seems. It was drummed into me my whole life.
Now I've lost the only man I ever really loved.
Mia, I want you to make your choices as a woman.
Don't make the same mistakes I did.
Make your own mistakes. There'll be plenty of them, believe me.
Now you can go back into that church and get married, or you can walk away.
Whatever choice you make, let it come from your heart.
~Queen Clarisse Renaldi

A few moments ago, I realized the only reason I was getting married was because of a law,
and that didn't seem like a good enough reason.
So, I won't be getting married today.
My grandmother has ruled without a man at her side for quite some time, and I think she rocks at it!
So as the granddaughter of Queen Clarisse and King Rupert, 
I ask the members of parliament to think about your daughters, your nieces, and sisters, and granddaughters, and ask yourself,
would you force them to do what you're trying to make me do?
I believe I will be a great queen.
I understand Genovia to be a land that combines the beauty of the past with all the best hope of the future.
I feel in my heart and soul I can rule Genovia.
I love Genovia.
Do you think that I would be up here in a wedding dress if I didn't?
I stand here, ready to make my place as your queen. Without a husband.
~Mia Thermopolis

I decline. I refuse to be king.
Ladies and gentlemen, it is Princess Mia who should have the crown.
She's bright, and she is caring.
But more importantly, she has a vision.
One that will take Genovia forward, and if the parliament were astute, they would name her queen.
Listen to her, she'll lead us into the 21st century.
And besides, just think how lovely she'll look on our postage stamp.
~Nicholas Devereaux

Mia: What is your dilemma, young man?
Nicholas: You are, in fact. [kneel]
I am in love with the queen-to-be, and I am inquiring if she loves me too.




*****

No comments:

Post a Comment