OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: A CINDERELLA STORY [2004]

Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A CINDERELLA STORY [2004]

Once Upon A Time... 
Can Happen Any Time

Sam: Do you have a dream?
Sam's Dad: Yeah. My dream is that you'll grow up and go to college 
and then maybe someday you'll build your own castle.
Sam: Where do princesses go to college?
Sam's Dad: They go where the princes go. They go to Princeton.
But Sam, you know, fairy tales aren't just about finding handsome princes.
They're about fulfilling your dreams and about standing up for what you believe in.
As I always say, never let the fear of striking out...
Sam: Keep you playing the game.
Sam's Dad: That's right.
Just remember, if you look carefully, this book contains important things
that you may need to know later in life.

Fiona: What are you doing just standing there? Get to work.
Sam: I can't go to work now. I've got a big test I have to study for.
Fiona: Listen, Sam. People go to school to get smarter, so that they can get a job.
You already have a job. So it's like skipping a step.
Come on, get going.

Rhonda: Sam, why are you still here?
Sam: I'm almost done.
Rhonda: You'll be late for school.
Sam: I'll get there.
Fiona goes ballistic if I don't finish.
Rhonda: I don't care. What I care about is your education.
Sam: But...
Rhonda: She's got you getting up at the crack of dawn.
Your dad would want you at school.
Sam: But...
Rhonda: No more 'but's. You just leave Fiona and her big butt to me.
Sam: Thanks, Rhonda.

 Carter: Shelby wants me so bad.
Sam: You've never even talked to her before.
Carter: Oh, I've talked to her, okay? In my mind.
And let me tell you, in my mind, she wants me so bad.
Sam: Carter, you could do so much better than Shelby Cummings. Even in your mind.

Sam: People like Shelby and Austin are genetically programmed to find each other.
How can so much ego be in one relationship?
Carter: Imagine what they say about you.
Sam: They don't even know I exist.

[on chat]
Austin: How's your day so far?
Sam: Raging stepmom, work and cool kids who can't get over themselves.
Ever feel like you don't belong?
Austin: Absolutely. I can be surrounded by a sea of people and still feel all alone.
Then I think of you.
Sam: Hey, Nomad, do you think we've ever met?
Austin: I don't know. Our school has over 3500 kids.
Sam: That narrows it down.
Austin: At least I can eliminate the guys.
You're not a guy, right? Because if you are, I'll kick your butt.
Sam: I am not a guy.
Have you told your dad about Princeton yet?
Austin: If only I could. I haven't even told him I wanna be a writer.
Sam: My father always encouraged me to pursue my dreams.
Austin: Not mine. He has another plan for my life.
Sam: It's 2 AM. We've been at this for 5 hours.
Austin: I think we broke our record.
Sam: We should turn in. Sweet dreams.
Austin: Wait.
I can't sleep without knowing there's hope.
Half the night I waste in sighs, in a wakeful doze I sorrow.
For the hand, the lips, the eyes... for the meeting of tomorrow.
Sam: Quoting Tennyson. Impressive.
Austin: Please meet me at the homecoming dance.
I'll be waiting for you at 11:00 in the middle of the dance floor.
Sweet dreams.

Carter: Come on, it's been like a month since you met him in that Princeton chat room, okay?
You talk to him all the time. You know him.
Sam: I know, but he doesn't know me.
 What if I meet him and I'm not what he expects?
Maybe this whole relationship's just better for cyberspace.

Carter: Why do you act like her slave?
Sam: Simple. No Fiona, no money for Princeton.
Carter: That sucks.
Sam: Tell me about it.

Austin's Dad: What's with all those college brochures in your bedroom?
Austin: I'm trying to keep my options open.
Austin's Dad: You don't need options. It's all taken care of.
Look, son, we've been working on this program since you were 9 years old.
You're gonna play USC football, graduate and then you'll manage this business with me.
Your future's set. So don't mess with the plan, all right?

Fiona: Did you finish your errands?
Because I need you to head to the diner and take the night shift.
Sam: Tonight's my night off and it's the Halloween dance at school, so...
Fiona: I know, but you need to stop being so self-centered and start thinking of others.
And others need you to go to the diner and mop the floors tonight.
Sam: But I really need to go to this dance, Fiona, I have to.
Fiona: You need to earn your tuition money for college. You gotta bus a lot of tables.
Sam: I'm a straight A student. I work 7 days a week and I'm taking extra AP classes.
I never asked you for anything. Please let me go to this dance.
Fiona: Sweetheart, now that you're old enough, 
there's something I've always wanted to tell you, and I think you're ready to hear it.
You're not very pretty, and you're not very bright.
I'm so glad we had that talk.

Sam: I'm graduating a year early so I can be 3000 miles away in Princeton.
Rhonda: You could go to the University of Mars and it still wouldn't be far enough.

Rhonda: Cyberdude? Is that the boy that's been sending you love notes?
Sam: They're not love notes. They're e-mails.
Rhonda: Sam, if a man taking his time to write down his feelings for you, it's a love note.
You've got a secret admirer.

Austin: Princeton Girl?
Sam: Austin Ames? You're Nomad?
Austin: I guess my costume doesn't do a very good job at hiding who I am.
Sam: No, I know exactly who you are.
I'm sorry, this was a really big mistake. I've gotta go.
Austin: Wait! It's not a mistake.
Sam: Don't you know who I am?
Austin: Of course I do. You're Princeton Girl.
The girl I've been waiting to meet. I know exactly who you are.
What's your name?

Austin: I guess you were expecting some guy who hangs out at Starbucks and writes poetry.
Sam: Something like that.
Come on, you're Austin Ames.
You're football captain and student body president... and closet poet? You can't be both guys.
Austin: I'm not.
Sam: Then who are you?
Austin: On September 7th, I wrote you,
"I live in the world full of people pretending to be something they're not.
But when I talk to you..."
Sam: "I'm the guy who I wanna be."
Austin: Give me the chance to be that guy.


Austin: Were you disappointed when you found out that I was Nomad? Be honest.
Sam: Surprisingly, no.
Austin: Did you vote for me for student body president?
Sam: Surprisingly, yes.
Austin: Really?
Okay, given the choice, would you rather have a rice cake or a Big Mac?
Sam: A Big Mac. But what does that matter?
Austin: I like a girl with a hearty appetite.
And besides, you just eliminated about 50% of the girls in our class.
[Austin hold and look her deeply]
You'd think I'd remember those eyes. You're so beautiful.

[while dancing]
Sam: All out of questions?
Austin: Do you believe in love at first sight?
Sam: I'll let you know.
Austin: But I've seen you before?
Sam: Yes.
Austin: How could I have seen you before and not know who you are now?
Sam: Maybe you were looking but you weren't really seeing.


Austin: Do you, Princeton Girl, feel like you made the right choice meeting me here tonight?
Sam: I do.
And do you, Austin Ames, ever wanna see me again after tonight?
Austin, teasing her: I'd have to think about that.
Absolutely.

Austin: Wait, where are you going?
Sam: I'm late.
Austin: For what?
Sam: Reality.

Carter: So, what did he say when he found out that you were you?
Sam: He didn't say, because he didn't find out.
Carter: You didn't tell him? Why not?
Sam: Carter, I live in an attic, okay?
I drive a beat-up old car, and he's expecting Malibu Barbie.
I'll be doing him a favor if I just disappear.

Carter: He's looking for you everywhere. Tell him it was you.
Sam: Isn't it better to cling to what might've been instead of ruining everything with reality?
Carter: You can't hide from him forever.
Sam: Not forever. Just until graduation, when I leave this place and never see him again.

This time, could you try to make it sound more like me?
I'm so sick of having to explain why I sound so smart on paper and so not smart not on paper.
~Brianna

Austin: Do you ever feel like if you show someone who you really are, they won't accept you?
Sam: Yeah, I do. Like being yourself isn't good enough.
Austin: Right.
Sam: Like you're wearing a mask.
Austin: That's exactly how I feel.
Sam: You just wanna be honest with this person and tell them,
"It's me, I'm the one that you've been looking for."

Fiona: Sam, you've got a letter from Princeton.
[Sam open and read it] What did it say?
Sam: I didn't get in.
Fiona: Oh, no! And you studied so hard.
Sam: I can't believe I actually thought I had a chance.
Fiona: Sam, I'm heartbroken. Life can be so unfair.
Well, just look at the bright side. You have a job at the diner for the rest of your life.

People like her don't belong in our world, Austin.
~Shelby, about Sam

Rhonda: What are you doing with your life?
Sam: I'm diner girl. I'm doing what diner girls do, Rhonda.
Rhonda: Baby, what's gotten into you? You don't even realize how blessed you are.
Look, you've got a whole family behind you.
We have faith in you. And you gotta have faith in yourself.


Fiona: I'm going off to get some more lipo.
Sam, I need you to clean the pool tonight.
Sam: No.
Fiona: Excuse me?
Sam: You heard me. I quit.
I quit this job, I quit your family, and I'm moving out.
Fiona, laughing: Oh, and where are you gonna live?
Rhonda, step forward: With me.
Fiona: You can't just walk out on me.
Sam: You know what, Fiona, you can mess with your hair, your nose and your face,
and you can even mess with my dad's diner, but you're through messing with me.

Fiona, to Rhonda: You took one more step, and you're fired.
Rhonda: Oh, no, that won't be necessary, because I quit too.
And you know what, the only reason why I put up with you all these years is because of that girl.
Now that she's free of you, nothing is stopping me from kicking your butt.
Eleanor: I quit, too
Bobby: Me, too.

Austin: Sam... Okay, I know you think I'm just some...
Sam: Coward? Phony?
Austin: Okay, just listen...
Sam: No, you listen. You turned out to be exactly who I thought you were.
I never pretended to be somebody else. It's been me all along.
And it was me who was hurt in front of everybody.
Look, I didn't come here to yell at you.
I came to tell you that I know what it feels like to be afraid to show who you are.
I was, but I'm not anymore.
And the thing is, I really don't care what people think about me because I believe in myself.
And I know that things are gonna be okay.
But even though I have no family and no job and no money for college,
it's you that I feel sorry for.
I know that guy that sent those e-mails is somewhere down inside of you.
But I can't wait for him. Because waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought.
Useless and disappointing.

Carter: Sam...
Sam: Hey... what are you doing here?
Carter: Rhonda told me where you might be.
I thought you could use a friend, come here. [hug her]
Sam, I'm so proud of you.
Your stepmom and Austin, all in one day. How do you feel?
Sam: I'll let you know when I catch my breath.

Sam: I like what you're wearing. What character are you today?
Carter: Myself.
Sam: I think it's your best look.
Carter: Thank you.

Austin's Dad, as Austin runs from the field: Whoa, what are you doing?
Austin: I'm out of here.
Austin's Dad: What? You're throwing away your dream!
Austin: No, Dad, I'm throwing away yours.

Sam: Austin, what are you doing?
Austin: Something I should've done a long time ago. [then kiss her]

[as the raindrops fall]
Sorry I waited for the rain.
~Austin Ames

You gotta love high school.
~Carter


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment