OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: ELIZABETHTOWN [2005]

Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

ELIZABETHTOWN [2005]

The Best Place To Find Yourself
  
 As somebody once said, there's a difference between a failure and a fiasco.
 A failure is simply the non-presence of success.
Any fool can accomplish failure.
But a fiasco is a disaster of mythic proportions.
A fiasco is a folktale told to others that makes other people feel more alive
because it didn't happen to them.
~Drew Baylor

Mercury Worldwide Shoes, which is actually Phil,
contains some of America's finest artists' masterworks
seen only by people heading for very important meetings, a promotion, or otherwise.
"We are not just employees," as Phil once said. "We are denizens of greatness."
Phil says, " The world is full of those who achieve through negativity, or theft."
"We succeed through original thought."
A shoe is not just a shoe. It connects us to the earth.
The right shoe can transport us, make us believe we are capable of more.
~Drew Baylor

Success, not greatness, was the only god the entire world served.
~Drew Baylor

Claire: I'm just wondering if this whole thing is better on the phone.
You're so much better on the phone.
Maybe we should never face each other again.
Drew: I enjoyed this.

 Claire: We're the substitute people.
I've been the substitute person my whole life.
I'm not an Ellen. I never wanted to be an Ellen.
And I'm not a Cindy, either. Although Chucks love me.
Drew: I'm sure they do.
Claire: I like being alone too much.
I'm with a guy who's married to his academic career.
I rarely see him. And I'm the substitute person there.
I like it that way. It's a lot less pressure.

Drew: I'm not used to girls like you.
Claire: That's because I'm one of a kind.
Drew: You don't have to make a joke.
I like you without the jokes.
 
 
Drew: He forgot? No storm in Georgia, no trustees, no big ideas.What a fucking jerk.
Claire: He's not a jerk.
He's a brilliant man who gives himself permission to be preoccupied.
Drew: Come on.
There is nothing greater than deciding in your life that things maybe really are black and white!
And this guy Ben, who clearly takes you for granted,
who serially takes advantage of you, is bad!
And what I am saying is good, see what I mean?
You shouldn't be the substitute for anybody.
This guy should be right here, right now, doing this. [kiss her]
Claire: Maybe so.
Drew: He's lucky I'm not the right person for you. [kiss her again]

I will miss your lips and everything attached to them.
~Claire Colburn

Drew: 4 days ago, I lost a major American shoe company.
Frankly, you could round it off to one billion dollars!
And by tomorrow afternoon, everyone will know.
Something's gonna be published that pinpoints me as the most spectacular failure in the history of my profession which is all I know how to do.
And I've been here this whole time trying to be responsible and charming and live up to this success that doesn't exist.
All I really want is to not be here.
I'm sorry, I have a very dark appointment with destiny.
That's my secret. That's who I am.
Claire: That's it?
Drew: Yes, that's it.
Claire: I'm sorry.
I guess I thought a small part of you might be a small bit sad to see me go.
But I guess this is all mostly about a shoe.
Drew: Of course I'm sad about you.
But this is just a little bit bigger than you and me!
And by the way, I didn't say million. I said billion! A billion dollars! That's a lot of million!
 Claire: So, you failed.
Drew: No, you don't get it.
Claire: All right, you really failed. You failed, you failed, you failed, you failed, you failed...
You think I care about that?
I do understand.
You're an artist, man, your job is to break through barriers.
Not accept blame and bow and say, "Thank you, I'm a loser, I'll go away now, Phil's mean to me..." So what?
Drew: I don't cry.
Claire: You want to be really great?
Then have the courage to fail big and stick around.
Make them wonder why you're still smiling.
That's true greatness to me.
But, don't listen to me. I'm a Claire.
Drew: Well, thank you, Claire.
Claire: You're welcome.
Now would you quit trying to break up with me?
You're always trying to break up with me, and we're not even together.
Drew: We're not?
Claire: Of course not. We're the substitute people, remember?


You have 5 minutes to wallow in the delicious misery.
Enjoy it, embrace it, discard it... and proceed.
~Claire Colburn


No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy.
A motto of the British Special Service Air Force is, 'Those who risk, win.'
A single green vine shoot is able to grow through cement.
The Pacific Nortwestern salmon beats itself bloody on its quest to travel hundreds of miles upstream against the current, with a single purpose.
Sex, of course.
But also... life.
~Drew Baylor


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment