OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST [2004]

Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST [2004]

By His Wounds, We Were Healed

 He was wounded for our transgressions,
crushed for our iniquities; 
by His wounds we are healed.
~Isaiah 53

 Hear me, Father. Rise up, defend me.
Save me from the traps they set for me.
~Jesus Christ

 Satan: Do you really believe that one man can bear the full burden of sin?
Jesus: Shelter me, O Lord. I trust in You. In You I take refuge.
Satan: No one man can carry this burden, I tell you. It is far too heavy.
Saving their souls is too costly.
No One. Ever. No. Never.
Jesus: Father, You can do all things.
If it is possible, let this chalice pass from me.
But let Your will be done, not mine. 
Satan: Who is your father?

Judas, you betray Son of a Man with a kiss?
~Jesus, as Judas kiss him in Olive Garden

Those who live by the sword, shall die by the sword.
~Jesus Christ

Annas: Who is this beggar you bring to us? Chained up like a condemned man.
 Temple Guard: He's Jesus, the Nazarene troublemaker.
Annas: You're Jesus of Nazareth?
Caiphas: They say you're a king. 
Where is this kingdom of yours? What line of kings do you descend from?
Annas: Speak up!
Caiphas: You're just the son of some obscure carpenter, no?
Annas: Some say you're Elijah. But he was carried off to heaven in a chariot!
Caiphas: Why don't you say something?
You've been brought here as a blasphemer! What do you say to that? Defend yourself.
Jesus: I have spoken openly to everyone.
I've taught in the temple where we all gather.
Ask those who have heard what I have to say.
Temple Guard: Is that how you address the high priest? With arrogance? [hit him]
Jesus, to guard: If I have spoken evil, tell me what evil I have said.
But if not, why do you hit me?
Annas: Yes, we'll listen to those who heard your blasphemies. 
Good, let's hear them! 
Witness I: He cures the sick by magic! With the help of devils!
Witness II: I've seen it. He casts out devils, with the help of devils. 
Witness I: He calls himself The King of the Jews!
Elder Temple: No, he calls himself The Son of God!
He said he would destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days!
Witness I: Worse! He claims he's the bread of life!
And if we don't eat his flesh or drink his blood, we won't inherit eternal life!
Caiphas: Silence! You're all under this man's spell.
Either offer proof of his wrongdoing, or be quiet!
Elder Temple: This entire proceeding is an outrage!
All I've heard from these witnesses is mindless contradiction!
Elder Temple: Who called this meeting anyway? And at this hour of the night?
Where are the other members of the council?
Others Elder Temple: Get him out of here!
Elder Temple, being dragged: A travesty! That's what this is, a beastly travesty!
Caiphas: Haven't you anything to say? No answer to these accusations?
I ask you now, Jesus of Nazareth, tell us, are you The Messiah? The Son of the Living God?
 Jesus: I am.
And you will see The Son of Man seated at the right hand of power 
and coming on the clouds of heaven. 
Caiphas: Blasphemy! Blasphemy!
You heard him! There's no need for witnesses!
Your verdict! What is your verdict?
The Crowd: Death!


Peter: Wherever you go, Lord, I will follow. To prison, even to death.
Jesus: Amen. I say to you, before the cock crows, 3 times you will deny me.

I have denied Him, Mother, denied Him 3 times.
~Peter

Judas: Release Him.
Take back the silver, here...
I've sinned, betrayed innocent blood. 
Take back your silver, I don't want it!
Caiphas: If you think you've betrayed innocent blood, that's your affair.
Take your money and go!

Claudia: Don't condemn this Galilean. He's holy.
You will only bring trouble on yourself.
Pontius Pilate: Do you want to know my idea of trouble, Claudia?
This stinking outpost, that filthy rabble out there.

Pontius Pilate: Do you always punish your prisoners before they're judged?
Caiphas: Governor...
Pontius Pilate: What accusations do you bring against this man?
 Caiphas: If He weren't a malefactor, we wouldn't have brought Him before you.
Pontius Pilate: That's not what I asked. 
Why don't you judge Him according to your own laws? 
Caiphas: Consul, you know it's unlawful for us to condemn any man to death. 
Pontius Pilate: To death? What has this man done to merit such a penalty?
 Caiphas: He has violated our Sabbath, Consul.
Pontius Pilate: Go on...
Caiphas: He has seduced the people, taught foul, disgusting doctrines.
Pontius Pilate: Isn't He the prophet you welcomed into Jerusalem only 5 days ago?
 And now you want Him dead? Can any of you explain this madness to me?
 Annas: Your Excellency, please...
So far the high priest hasn't told you this man's greatest crime.
He has become the leader of a large and dangerous sect, who hail Him as The Son of David.
He claims that He is The Messiah. The King promised to the Jews.
Caiphas: He has forbidden his followers to pay tribute to the emperor, Consul.

Pontius Pilate: Are you The King of The Jews?
Jesus: Does this question come from you?
Or do you ask me this because others have told you that is what I am?
Pontius Pilate: Why would I ask you that? Am I a Jew?
Your high priests, your own people delivered you up to me. 
They want me to have you executed. Why? What have you done? Are you a king?
Jesus: My kingdom is not of this world. 
If it were, do you think my followers would have let them hand me over? 
Pontius Pilate: Then you are a king? 
Jesus: That is why I was born. To give testimony to the truth.
All men who hear the truth hear my voice. 
Pontius Pilate: Truth. What is truth? 


 Herod, to Jesus: Is it true that You restore sight to the blind? Raise men from the dead?
Where do You get Your power? 
Are You the one whose birth was foretold? 
Answer me, are You a king?
How about me? Will You work a little miracle for me?
[to the Elder Temple] Take this stupid fool out of my sight.
He's not guilty of a crime, He's just crazy.

 Do you want to know my truth is, Claudia?
I've been putting down rebellions in this rotten outpost for 11 years. 
If I don't condemn this man, I know Caiphas will start a rebellion.
If I do condemn Him, then His followers may. Either way, there will be bloodshed.
Caesar has warned me, Claudia, warned me twice. 
He swore that the next time the blood would be mine. 
That is my truth.
~Pontius Pilate

 Pontius Pilate: As you know, every year I release a criminal back to you.
We are now holding a notorious murderer, Barabbas.
Which of the 2 men would you have me release to you? 
The murderer Barabbas or Jesus, called The Messiah.
Caiphas: He is not The Messiah! He is an imposter! A blasphemer! 
Free Barabbas! 
The Crowd: Free Barabbas! 
Pontius Pilate: Again I ask you, which of these 2 men should I release to you? 
The Crowd: Free Barabbas! Free Barabbas!

 Pontius Pilate: What would you have me do with Jesus the Nazarene?
Caiphas: Have Him crucified! 
The Crowd: Crucify Him! Crucify Him!
Pontius Pilate: No! I will chastise Him, but then I will set Him free. 

 My son, when, where, how will You choose to be delivered of this?
~Mary

 If the world hates you, remember that it has hated me first.
Remember also that no servant is greater than his master.
If they persecuted me, they will persecute you. 
You must not be afraid. 
The Helper will come who reveals the truth about God and who comes from the Father.
~Jesus Christ

 Pontius Pilate: Behold the man.
Caiphas: Crucify Him! 
The Crowd: Crucify Him! Crucify Him! 
Pontius Pilate: Isn't this enough? Look at Him! 
Caiphas: Crucify Him! 
Pontius Pilate: Shall I crucify your king? 
Caiphas: We have no king but Caesar! 

Pontius Pilate: Speak to me.
I have the power to crucify you, or else to set you free. 
Jesus: You have no power over me except what is given you from above. 
Therefore, it is he who delivered me to you who has the greater sin. 

If you free Him, Governor, you are no friend of Caesar's. 
You must crucify Him. 
~Caiphas

It is you who want to crucify Him, not I. 
Look you to it. I am innocent of this man's blood.
~Pontius Pilate

I am your servant, Father.
Your servant, and the son of your handmaid.
~Jesus Christ

All right, but I'm innocent man, forced to carry the cross of a condemned man.
~Simon of Cyrene


I am the good shepherd. I lay down my life for my sheep.
No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.
I have power to lay it down and power to take it up again.
This command is from my Father. 
~Jesus Christ

 You are my friends.
There is no greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friend.
~Jesus Christ

 


 You said you could destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days
and yet you cannot come down from that cross. 
If He is The Messiah, I say let Him come down from the cross
so that we may see and believe.
~Caiphas

Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.
~Jesus Christ

Dismas: I have sinned, and my punishment is just.
You would be justified in condemning me.
I ask only that You remember me, Lord, when You enter Your kingdom.
Jesus: Amen, I tell you, on this day you shall be with me in paradise.

 [to Mary] Woman... behold your son.
[to John] Son... behold your mother.
~Jesus Christ

My God, why have you forsaken me?
~Jesus Christ

It is accomplished.
Father, into Your hands, I commend... my spirit.
~Jesus Christ


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment