OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA [2006]

Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA [2006]



Hell On Heels


Andy: Who's Miranda?
Emily: Oh, my God. I will pretend you did not just ask me that.
She's the Editor in Chief of Runway, not to mention a legend.
You work a year for her, and you can get a job at any magazine you want.
A million girls would kill for this job.


Andy: You should see the way these girls at Runway dress.
I don't have a thing to wear to work.
Nate: Come on, you're gonna be answering phones and getting coffee.
You need a ball gown for that?

Emily: First of all, you and I are answer the phone.
The phone must be answered every single time it rings.
Calls roll to voice mail, and she gets very upset.
If I'm not here, Andrea, you are chained to that desk.
Andy: What if I need to...
Emily: What? No.
One time an assistant left the desk because she sliced her hand open with a letter opener,
and Miranda missed Lagerfeld, just before he boarded a 17-hour flight to Australia.
She now works at TVGuide.
Andy: Man the desk at all times, got it.

Andy: So none of the girls here eat anything?
Nigel: Not since 2 became the new 4 and 0 became the new 2.
Andy: I'm a 6.
Nigel: Which is the new 14.

 Andy: Okay, you think my clothes are hideous, I get it.
But, I'm not going to be in fashion forever,
so I don't see the point of changing everything about myself just because I have this job.
 Nigel: Yes, that's true.
That's really what this multibillion-dollar industry is all about anyway, isn't it?
 Inner beauty.


 Dad: We're just a little worried, honey.
We get e-mails from you at your office at 2:00 AM. 
Your pay is terrible, you don't get to write anything.
 Andy: Hey, that's not fair. I wrote those e-mails.
 Dad: I'm just trying to understand why someone who got accepted to Stanford Law
 turns it down to be a journalist, and now you're not even doing that.
Andy: Dad, you have to trust me. 
Being Miranda's assistant opens a lot of doors.

 Andy: She hates me, Nigel.
Nigel: And that's my problem, because... oh, wait, no, it's not my problem.
Andy: I don't know what else I can do because if I do something right, it's unacknowledged.
  She doesn't even say thank you.
But if I do something wrong, she is vicious. 
Nigel: So quit.
 Andy: What?
Nigel: Quit.
I can get another girl to take your job in 5 minutes, one who really wants it.
 Andy: I don't want to quit, that's not fair.
 I'm just saying that I would like a little credit for the fact that I'm killing myself trying.
 Nigel: Andy, be serious.
You are not trying, you are whining. 
What is it that you want me to say to you, huh? 
"Poor you, Miranda's picking on you , poor you, poor Andy"?
Wake up, six, she's just doing her job.
Don't you know that you are working at the place that publish some of the greatest artists of the century?
 Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta.
And what they did, what they created, was greater than art because you live your life in it.
You think this is just a magazine? 
This is not just a magazine. 
This is a shining beacon of hope for, I don't know,
let's say young boy growing up in Rhode Island with 6 brothers 
pretending to go to soccer practice when he was really going to sewing class and reading Runway under the covers at night with a flashlight.
You have no idea how many legends have walked these halls. 
And what's worse, you don't care. 
Because this place, where so many people would die to work, you only deign to work.
And you want to know why she doesn't kiss you on the forehead 
and give you a gold star on your homework at the end of the day. 
Wake up, sweetheart. 

 Nate: Why do women need so many bags?
 You have one, you put all your junk in it, and that's it. You're done.
Doug: Fashion is not about utility. 
An accessory is merely a piece of iconography used to express individual identity.
Lily: And it's pretty.
Doug: That too.

 Nigel: There's a scale.
One nod is good, 2 nods is very good. 
There's only been one actual smile on record, and that was Tom Ford in 2001.
 She doesn't like it, she shakes her head.
Then of course, there's the pursing of the lips. 
Andy: Which means?
Nigel: Catastrophe.
Andy: So because she pursed her lips, he's gonna change his entire collection?
Nigel: You still don't get it, do you?
Her opinion is the only one that matters.

 The Book is assembled by 10:00, 10:30 and you must wait around for it until then.
 You will be delivering Miranda's dry cleaning with the Book.
 The car will take you straight to Miranda's townhouse.
You let yourself in.
 Andrea, you do not talk to anyone. Do not look at anyone.
This is of the utmost importance, you must be invisible. 
You open the door and you walk across the foyer. 
You hang the dry cleaning in the closet across from the staircase.
 And you leave the Book on the table with the flowers.
~Emily

 Andy: It really wasn't that big deal, I promise.
The twins said hello, so I said hello back.
 Then I went up the stairs to give her the Book and...
Emily: You went upstairs?
Oh my God, why didn't you just climb into bed with her and ask for a bedtime story?

 Miranda: I need the new Harry Potter book for the twins.
Andy: Okay, I'll go down to Barnes & Noble right now.
Miranda: Did you fall down and smack your little head on the pavement?
Andy: Not that I can recall.
Miranda: We have all the published Harry Potter books.
The twins want to know what happens next.
Andy: You want the unpublished manuscript?
Miranda: We know everyone in publishing. It shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Christian: Harry Potter manuscript? You gotta be kidding.
Andy: Sorry to ask, but I'm desperate.
Christian: Just tell her it can't be done.
You'll have to come up with a Plan B.
Andy: This is Miranda Priestley we're talking about.
There is no Plan B, there's only Plan A.

 Andy: My personal life is hanging by a thread, that's all.
Nigel: Join the club. That's what happens when you start doing well at work, darling.
Let me know when your whole life goes up in smoke.
That means it's time for a promotion.


 The Andy I know is madly in love with Nate, is always 5 minutes early,
and thinks, I don't know, Club Monaco is couture. 
For the last 16 years, I've known everything about that Andy.
 But this person?
This 'glamazon' who skulks around in corners with some random hot fashion guy?
 I don't get her.
~Lily

 Nate: Andy, I make port wine reduction all day.
 I'm not exactly in the Peace Corps.
 I wouldn't care if you were out there pole dancing all night as long as you did it with a little integrity.
You used to say this was just a job.
 You used to male fun of the Runway girls.
 What happened? Now you've become one of them.
 Andy: That's absurd.
Nate: That's okay, that's fine, just own up to it.
 And then we can stop pretending like we have anything in common anymore.

 
 She's tough.But if Miranda were a man
no one would notice anything about her, except how great she is at her job.
~Andrea

 Miranda: I see the great deal of myself in you.
You can see beyond what people want and what they need and you can choose for yourself.
 Andy: I don't think I'm like that.
I couldn't do what you did to Nigel, Miranda. I couldn't do something like that.
 Miranda: You already did. To Emily.
Andy: That's not what I... That was different. I didn't have a choice.
  Miranda: Oh, no, you chose. You chose to get ahead.
 You want this life, those choices are necessary.
Andy: But what if this isn't what I want?
 What if I don't wanna live the way you live?
 Miranda: Don't be ridiculous, Andrea.
Everybody wants this. 
Everybody wants to be us.


 Greg Hill: My only question is, Runway?
You were there for less than a year.
What the hell kind of a blip is that?
Andy: Learned a lot.
In the end though, I kind of screwed it up.
Greg Hill: I called over there for a reference, left word with some snooty girl.
Next thing you know, I got a fax from Miranda Priestley herself, 
saying that of all the assistants she's ever had, 
you were, by far, her biggest disappointment.
And, if I don't hire you, I am an idiot.
You must have done something right.



*****

1 comment:

  1. Great movie! The dialogue is funny, but also true in many ways. Maybe I should go buy another handbag....

    ReplyDelete