OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: GAME OF THRONES SEASON I: YOU WIN OR YOU DIE [2011]

Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

GAME OF THRONES SEASON I: YOU WIN OR YOU DIE [2011]


WINTER IS COMING

Will: White walkers... White walkers...
The White Walkers, I saw hem.
I know I broke my oath and I know I'm a deserter.
I should have gone back to The Wall and warned them, but... I saw waht I saw.
I saw The White Walkers.
People need to know.
If you can get word to my family, tell them I'm no coward.
Tell them I'm sorry. [going to be headed]
Forgive me, Lord.
Ned Stark: In the name of Robert of The House Baratheon, the first of his name...
Jon Snow, to Bran: Don't look away.
Ned Stark: ... King of The Andals and The First Name...
Jon Snow, to Bran: Father will know if you do.
Ned Stark: ... Lord of The Seven Kingdoms and Protector of The Realm, 
I, Eddard of The House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of The North,
sentence you to die. [chopped off the head]
Jon Snow, to Bran who bravely see: You did well.

Ned Stark: You understand why I did it?
Bran: Jon said he was a deserter.
Ned Strak: But do you understand why I had to kill him?
Bran: "Our way is the old way"?
Ned Stark, nod: The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.
Bran: Is it true he saw The White Walkers?
Ned Stark: The White Walkers have been gone for thousands of years.
Bran: So he was lying?
Ned Stark: The madman sees what he sees.

Ned Stark: It's a direwolf. Tough old beast.
Robb: There are no direwolves south of The Wall.
Jon Snow: Now there are five. [to Bran] You want to hold it?
Bran: Where will they go? Their mother's dead.
Ser Rodrik: They don't belong down here.
Ned Stark: Better a quick death. They won't last without her mother.
Theon Greyjoy, draw the blade: Right. Give it here.
Bran: No!
Robb, to Theon: Put away your blade.
Theon Greyjoy, to Robb: I take orders from your father, not you.
Bran: Please, Father...
Ned Stark: I'm sorry, Bran.
Jon Snow: Lord Stark, there are five pups, one for each of The Stark children.
The direwolf is the sigil of your house.
They were meant to have them.
Ned Stark: You will train them yourselves, you will fed them yourselves.
And if they die, you will bury them yourselves.
Bran, to Jon Snow: What about you?
Jon Snow: I'm not a Stark.
Get on...
[they intend to leave the river when suddenly they hear another puppy howling. 
Jon Snow pulled up another direwolf]
Theon Greyjoy: The runt of the litter... that one's yours, Snow

Jamie: As your brother, I feel it's my duty to warn you, you worry too much.
It's starting to show.
Cersei: And you never worry about everything.
When we were seven and you jumped off the cliffs at Casterly Rock,
100 foot drop into the water and you were never afraid.
Jamie: There was nothing to be afraid of until you told father;
"We're Lannisters. Lannisters don't act like fools."
Cersei: What if Jon Arryn told someone?
Jamie: But who would tell?
Cersei: My husband.
Jamie: If he told The King, both our heads would be skewered on the City Gates by now.
Whatever Jon Arryn knew or didn't know, it died with him.
And Robert will choose an new Hand of The King...
someone to do his job while he's off fucking boars and hunting whores...
or is it the other way around?
And life will go on.
Cersei: You should be The Hand of The King.
Jamie: That's an honor I can do without.
Their days are too long, their lives are too short.

King Robert: I need you, Ned... down at King's Landing,
not up here where you're no damn use to anybody.
Lord Eddard Stark, I would name you The Hand of The King.
Ned, on his knee: I'm not worthy of the honor.
King Robert: I'm not trying to honor you.
I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink and whore my way to early grave.
Damn it, Ned, stand up. [Ned rises]
You helped me win The Iron Throne, now help me keep the damn thing.
We were meant to rule together.
If your sister had lived, we'd have been bound by blood.
Well it's not too late.
I have a son, you have a daughter.
We'll join our houses.

 [in front of Lyanna's statue]
King Robert: Did you have to buried her in a place like this?
She should be on a hill somewhere with the sun and the clouds above her.
Ned Stark: She was my sister.
This is where she belongs.
King Robert: She belonged with me.
In my dreams, I kill him every night.
Ned Stark: It's done, Your Grace, The Targaryens are gone.
King Robert: Not all of them.

Do you see how long his hair is?
When Dothraki are defeated in combat,
they cut off their braids so the whole world can see their shame.
Khal Drogo has never been defeated.
He's a savage of course, but one of the finest killers alive.
And you will be his queen.
[Viserys to Daenerys, about Khal Drogo]

Viserys: I know how to play a man like Drogo.
I give him a queen and he gives me an army.
Daenerys: I don't want to be his queen.
I want to go home.
Viserys: So do I... I want us both to go home.
But they took it from us.
So tell me, sweet sister, how do we go home?
Daenerys: I don't know.
Viserys: We go home with an army, with Khal Drogo's army.
I would let his whole tribe fuck you,
all 40.000 men and their horses too, if that's what it took.

Jon Snow: I'm ready to swear your oath.
Benjen Stark: You don't understand what you'd be giving up.
We have no families.
None of us will ever father sons...
Jon Snow: I don't care about that.
Benjen Stark: You might, if you knew what it meant.

I don't fight in tournaments,
because when I fight a man for real, 
I don't want him to know what I can do.
~Ned Stark, to Jaime Lannister

Direwolves south of The Wall,
talk of The Walkers,
and my brother might be the next Hand of The King.
Winter is coming.
~Benjen Stark

Jon Snow: You're Tyrion Lannister, the queen's brother.
Tyrion: My greatest accomplishment.
And you... You're Ned Stark's bastard, aren't you?
[Jon Snow got offended and leaves him]
Did I offend you?
Sorry.
You are the bastard, though.
Jon Snow: Lord Eddard Stark is my father.
Tyrion: And Lady Stark is not your mother, making you the bastard.
Let me give you some advice, bastard.
Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.
Jon Snow: What the hell do you know about being a bastard?
Tyrion: All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes.


If this news is true and The Lannisters are conspire against The Throne,
who but you can protect The King?
[to Catelyn] The King rode for a month to ask Lord Eddard's help.
He's the only one he trusts.
[to Ned] You swore The King an oath, My Lord.
~Maester Luwin

[Bran being pushed by Jaime]



*****

THE KINGSROAD

It's a strange thing,
the first time you cut a man, you realize we're nothing but sacks of meat and blood and some bone to keep it all standing.
Let me thank you ahead of time [shakes Jon Snow hand]
for guarding us all from the perils beyond The Wall...
wildlings and White Walkers and what not.
We're grateful to have good strong men like you protecting us.
~Jaime Lannister, mocking Jon Snow for being The Night's Watch

Jon Snow: I have something for you and it has to be packed very carefully.
Arya: A present?
Jon Snow: Close the door.
[Arya close her door chamber and Jon Snow present her the sword]
This is no toy.
Be careful you don't cut yourself.
Arya, holding the sword: It's so skinny.
Jon Snow: So are you.
I had the blacksmith make it for you special.
It won't hack a man's head off,
but it can poke him full of holes if you're quick enough.
Arya: I can be quick.
Jon Snow: You'll have to work at it every day.
How does it feel? Do you like the balance?
Arya: I think so.
Jon Snow: First lesson, stick them with the pointy end.
Arya: I know which end to use.
Jon Snow, smiles: I'm going to miss you. [Arya hugs him]
All the best swords have names, you know.
Arya: Sansa can keep her sewing needles.
I've got a 'Needle' of my own.

There's a great honor serving in The Night's Watch.
The Starks have manned The Wall for thousand of years.
And you are a Stark.
You might not have my name, but you have my blood.
~Ned Stark to Jon Snow

Look at me and tell what you see.
What you see is a dwarf.
If I'd been born a peasant, they might've left me out in the woods to die.
Alas, I was born a Lannister of Casterly Rock.
Things are expected of me.
My father was The Hand of The King for 20 years.
Yes, until my brother killed him.
Life is full of these little ironies.
My sister married the new King and my repulsive nephew will be King after him.
I must do my part for the honor of my house, wouldn't you agree?
But how?
Well, my brother has his sword and I have my mind.
And a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone.
That's why I read so much, Jon Snow.
~Tyrion Lannister




*****

LORD SNOW

Ned Stark: Is that what you tell yourself at night?
You're a servant of a justice?
That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword in Aerys Targaryen's back?
Jamie: Tell me... If I'd stabbed The Mad King in the belly instead of the back,
would you admire me more?

Cersei, while binding Joffrey hand: A king should have scars.
You fought off a direwolf.
You're a warrior like your father.
Joffrey: I'm not like him. I didn't fight off everything.
It bit me and all I did was scream.
And the two Stark girls saw it, both of them.
Cersei: That's not true. You killed the beast.
You only spared the girl because your father bears her father.
Joffrey: I didn't... I
Cersei: When Aerys Targaryen sat on The Iron Throne,
your father was a rebel and a traitor.
Someday, you'll sit on the throne and the truth will be what you make it.

Cersei: The North cannot be held... not by an outsider.
It's too big and too wild.
And when the winter comes, 
The Seven Gods together couldn't save you and your royal army.
A good king knows when to save his strength... and when to destroy his enemies.
Joffrey: So you agree... The Starks are enemies?
Cersei: Everyone who isn't us is enemy.

War was easier than daughters.
~Ned Stark, found Sansa and Arya didn't well to each other

Ned Stark, referring Needle: This is no toy.
Little ladies shouldn't play with the swords.
Arya: I wasn't playing.
And I don't want to be a lady.

Look at me.
You're a Stark of Winterfell, you know our words.
You were born in the long summer.
You've never known anything else.
But now winter is truly coming.
And in the winter, we must protect ourselves, look after one another.
Sansa is your sister.
I don't want to frighten you, but I won't lie to you either.
We've come to a dangerous place.
We cannot fight a war amongst ourselves.
All right?
~Ned Stark to Arya


The boy won't talk.
And if he does, I'll kill him.
Him, Ned Stark, The King... the whole bloody lot of them,
until you and I are the only people left in this world.
~Jaime, to Cersei

Surrounded by Lannisters.
Everytime I close my eyes, I see their blonde hairs and their smug satisfied faces.
It must wound your pride, huh, standing out there like a glorified sentry.
Jaime Lannister, son of the mighty Tywin...
forced to mind the door while your king eats and drinks and shits and fucks.
~King Robert, to Jaime Lannister

Tyrion: So, you roam The Seven Kingdoms,
collaring pickpockets and horse thieves, and bring them here as eager recruits?
Yoren: Aye.
But it's not all of 'em's done bad things.
Some of 'em's just poor lads looking for steady feed.
Some of 'em's high-born lads looking for glory.

The Night's Watch is the only thing standing between the realm and what lies beyond.
And it has become an army of undisciplined boys and tired old men.
There are less than a thousand of us now.
We can't man the other castles on The Wall.
We can't properly patrol the wilderness.
We've barely enough resources to keep our lads armed and fed when winter does come,
Gods help us all if we're not ready.
~Maester Aemon, to Tyrion Lannister


*****

CRIPPLES, BASTARD AND BROKEN THINGS

The brave men didn't kill dragons, the brave men rode them.
Rode them from Valyria to build the greatest civilization this world has ever seen.
The breath of the greatest dragon forged The Iron Throne,
which The Usurper is keeping warm for me.
The sword of the vanquished, a thousand of them, melted together like so many candles.
The last one died many years before I was born.
I'll tell you what I've seen; their skulls.
They used to decorate the throne room in The Red Keep.
When I was very young, just three or four,
my father used to walk me down the rows and I'd recite their names for him.
When I got them alright, he'd give me a sweet.
The ones closest to the door were the last ones they were able to hatch
and they were all stunted and wrong.
Skulls no bigger than dog skulls.
But as you got closer to The Iron Throne... they got bigger, and bigger and bigger.
There was Ghiscar and Valyron, Vermithrax, Essovius... Archonei, Meraxes, Vhagar...
and Balerion The Dread, whose fire forged The Seven Kingdoms into one.
~Viserys Targaryen

Syrio says, every hurt is a lesson, and every lesson makes you better.
Tomorrow, I'm going to be chasing cats.
He says, every swordsman should study cats.
They're quiet as shadows and as light as feathers.
You have to be quick to catch them.
~Arya Stark

Ned Stark: When Lord Arryn came to visit you, what would you talk about?
Gendry: He just asked me question as all. M'Lord.
Ned Stark: What kind of question?
Gendry: About my work at first, if I was being treated well, if I liked it here...
But then he started asking me about my mother,
who she was... what she looked like...
Ned Stark: What did you tell him?
Gendry: She died when I was little.
She had yellow hair.
She's sing to me sometimes.
Ned Stark: Look at me... [Ned examine his face carefully]
Get back to work, lad.

Jory: Find anything?
Ned Stark: King Robert's bastard son.

When you're out there, beyond The Wall, with the sun going down,
do you want a man at your back or a shivering boy?
~Ser Alliser Thorne

Viserys: How many times do I have to tell you, you do not command me.
Daenerys: I wasn't commanding you. I just wanted to invite you to supper.
Viserys: What's this? [grab a rags harshly]
Daenerys: It's a gift. I had it made for you.
Viserys: Dothraki rags?
Are you going to dress me now?
Daenerys: Please...
Viserys throws it to Danerys: This stinks of mannure. [throws the necklace] All of it!
Daenerys: Stop! Stop it!
Viserys: You would turn me into one of them, wouldn't you?!
Next you'll want to braid my hair?
Daenerys: You've no right to a braid, you've won no victories yet.
Viserys: You do not talk back to me! [slaps Daenerys until she fell]
You are a horselord's slut and now you've woken the dragon.
Daenerys, slaps him back with the necklace: I am Khaleesi of The Dothraki.
I am the wife of The Great Khal and I carry his son inside me.
The next time you raise a hand to me, will be the last time you have hands.

Jon Snow: I came very close one.
I was alone in a room with a naked girl, but...
Sam: You didn't know where to put it?
Jon Snow: I know where to put it.
Sam: Was she... old and ugly?
Jon Snow: Young and gorgeous. A whore named Ros.
Sam: What color hair?
Jon Snow: Red.
Sam: Oh, I like red hair.
And her, um... her... [holds his breast]
Jon Snow: You don't want to know.
Sam: That good?
Jon Snow: Better.
Sam: Oh no.
So why exactly did you not make love to Ros with the perfect...?
Jon Snow: What's my name?
Sam: Jon Snow?
Jon Snow: And why is my surname Snow?
Sam: Because... you're a bastard from The North.
Jon Snow: I never met my mother.
My father wouldn't even tell me her name.
I don't know if she's living or dead.
I don't know if she's a noble woman or a fisherman's wife... or a whore...
So I sat there in the brothel as Ros took off her clothes.
But I couldn't do it.
Because all I could think was what if I got her pregnant and she had a child,
another bastard named Snow?
It's not a good life for child.

The Hounds was just a pup, six years old maybe.
Gregor a few years older,
already a big lad, already getting a bit of reputation.
Some lucky boys just born with a talent for violence.
One evening, 
Gregor found his little brother playing with a toy by the fire, 
Gregor's toy, a wooden knight.
Gregor never said a word.
He just grabbed his brother by the scruff of his neck, and shoved his face into the burning coals,
helds him there while the boy screamed, while his face melted.
~Lord Petyr Baelish to Sansa Stark, about Sandor Clegane


*****

THE WOLF AND THE LION

Everyone knows a Lannister always pays his debt.
~Tyrion Lannister

Maester Luwin, points something on the map: Bran...
Bran: The Iron Islands
Sigil, a kraken
Words, We Do Not Sow
Maester Luwin: Lords?
Bran: The Greyjoys.
Theon: Famed for their skills at archery, navigation and lovemaking [chuckles]
Maester Luwin: And failed rebellions. [pointing King's Landing on the map]
Bran: Sigil, a stag, a crowned stag... now that's Robert's King.
Maester Luwin: Good.
Bran: Words, Ours is the Fury.
Lords, The Bartheons.
[Maester Luwin pointing another on the map]
Bran: The Westerlands.
Sigil, a lion.
Words, A Lannister Always Pays His Debts.
Maester Luwin: No, a common saying, but no their official motto.
Bran: Lords, The Lannisters.
Maester Luwin: We're still on their words.
Bran: I don't know them.
Maester Luwin: You do know them, think.
Bran: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
Maester Luwin: That's House Martell.
Bran: Righteous in Wrath.
Maester Luwin: House Hornwood.
Bran: Family, Duty, Honor.
Maester Luwin: Those are Tully words, your mothers.
Are we playing a game?
Bran: Family, Duty, Honor... is that a right order?
Maester Luwin: You know it is.
Bran: Family comes first?
Maester Luwin: Your mother had to leave Winterfell to protect the family.
Bran: How can she protect the family if she's not with her family?

Some doors close forever,
others open in the most unexpected places.
~Lord Varys 

Ned Stark: Jon was a man of peace.
He was Hand for 17 years... 17 good years.
Why kill him?
Lord Varys: He started asking questions.

King Robert: The whore is pregnant.
Ned Stark: You're speaking of murdering a child.
King Robert: I warned you this would happen.
Back in The North I warned you, but you didn't care to hear.
Well, hear it now.
I want them dead, mother and child both. And that fool Viserys as well.
Is that plain enough for you? I want them both dead.
Ned Stark: You will dishonor yourself forever if you do this.
King Robert: Honor?!
I've got Seven Kingdoms to rule! One king, seven kingdoms!
Do you think honor keeps them in line?
Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace?
It's fear! Fear and blood!
Ned Stark: Then we're no better than The Mad King.
King Robert: Careful, Ned, careful now...
Ned Stark: You want to assassinate a girl because The Spider heard a rumor?
Lord Varys: No rumor, My Lord. The princess is with child.
Ned Stark: Based on whose information?
Lord Varys: Ser Jorah Mormont.
He is serving as advisor to The Targaryens.
Ned Stark: Mormont?
You bring us the whispers of a traitor half a world away and call it fact?
He broke the law, betrayed his family, fled our land.
We commit murder on the word of this man?
King Robert: And if he's right? If she has a son?
A Targaryen at the head of a Dothraki army, what then?
Ned Stark: The Narrow Sea still lies between us.
I'll fear The Dothraki the day they teach their horses to run on water.
King Robert: Do nothing? That's your wise advise?
Do nothing till our enemies are on our shores?


Ned Stark: I followed you into war... twice, without doubts, without second thoughts.
But I will not follow you now.
The Robert I grew up with didn't tremble at the shadow of an unborn child.
King Robert: She dies.
Ned Stark: I will have no part in it.
King Robert: You're The King's Hand, Lord Stark.
You'll do as I command or I'll find me a Hand who will.
Ned took off The Hand's pin: And good luck to him.
I thought you were a better man.
King Robert: Out, out damn you! I'm done with you!
[Ned leaves]
Go, run back to Winterfell! 
I'll have your head on a spike! I'll put it there myself, you fool!
You think you're too good for this? Too proud and honorable?
This is a war!

Catelyn: Lysa... you wrote me about The Lannisters, warning me...
Lysa Arryn: To stay away from them! Not to bring one here...
Robyn Arryn: Mommy... is that the bad man?
Lysa: It is.
Robyn Arryn, chuckles: He's little.
Lysa: He's Tyrion The Imp, of House Lannister.
He killed your father. He murdered The Hand of The King!
Tyrion: Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy man.

We haven't had a real fight in 9 years.
Back-stabbing doesn't prepare you for a fight.
And that's all the realm is now, back-stabbing and scheming and arse-licking and money-grubbing.
Sometimes I don't know what holds it together.
~King Robert Baratheon

King Robert: You want to know the horrible truth?
I can't even remembered what she looked like.
I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted.
Someone took her away from me, and Seven Kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind.
Cersei: I felt something for you once, you know.
King Robert: I know.
Cersei: Even after we lost our first boy. For quite a while actually.
Was it ever possible for us?
Was there ever a time, ever a moment?
King Robert: No.

[Ned Stark lost his sword fight against Jaime Lannister]


*****

A GOLDEN CROWN

I never loved my brothers.
A sad thing for a man to admit but it's true.
You were the brother I chose.
~King Robert, to Ned

Put on the badge.
And if you ever take it off again, I swear to the mother,
I'll pin the damned thing on Jaime Lannister.
~King Robert, to Ned

If you are with your trouble when fighting happens, more trouble for you, just so.
How can you be quick as a snake, or as quiet as a shadow, when you are somewhere else?
~Syrio Forell


I'll stand for the dwarf.
~Bronn

Lord Baelish: Gold wins wars, not soldiers.
Ned Stark: Then how come Robert is king and not Tywin Lannister?

Lord Orys Baratheon, black of hair.
Axel Baratheon, black of hair.
Lyonel Baratheon, black of hair.
Steffon Baratheon, black of hair.
Robert Baratheon,black of hair.
Joffrey Baratheon, golden-haired.
~Ned Stark, 
reading The Lineages and Histories of The Great Houses of The Seven Kingdoms

Viserys: I want the crown he promised me.
He bought you, but he never paid for you.
Tell him I want what was bargained for or I'm taking you back.
He can keep the baby. I'll cut it out and leave it to him.
[Khal Drogo speak in his mother tongue]
What is he saying?
Daenerys: He says yes.
You shall have a golden crown that men should tremble to behold.
Viserys: That was all I wanted.
What... what was promised.
[The Dothraki held him tight while Khal Drogo tossed in his gold medallion to the stew pot, 
melt it and upended the pot over Viserys's head]
Khal Drogo: A crown for a king.
Daenerys, watch it numbly: He was no dragon.
Fire cannot kill dragon.




*****

YOU WIN OR YOU DIE

The lion doesn't concerns himself with the opinions of the sheep.
~Tywin Lannister

If another house can seize one of our own and hold him captive with impunity, 
we are no longer a house to be feared.
Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you, and your brother, and your sister,
and all of her children.
All of us dead, all of us nothing in the ground.
It's the family name that lives on.
It's all that lives on.
Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family.
Do you understand?
~Tywin Lannister


You're blessed with abilities that few man possess.
You are blessed to belong to the most powerful family in the kingdoms.
And you are still blessed with youth.
And what have you done with these blessings, huh?
You've served as a glorified bodyguard for two kings...
One a madman, the other a drunk.
The future of our family will be determined in these next few months.
We could establish a dynasty that will last a thousand years,
or we collapse into nothing as The Targaryens did.
I need you to become the man you were always meant to be.
Not next year, not tomorrow, now!
~Tywin to Jaime Lannister

Ned Stark: I know the truth Jon Arryn died for.
Cersei: Do you, Lord Stark?
Is that why you called me here, to pose me riddles?
Ned Stark: Has he done this before? [pointing his cheek, referring slaps mark on Cersei's]
Cersei: Jaime would have killed him.
My brother is worth a thousand of your friend.
Ned Stark: Your brother? Or your lover?
Cersei: The Targaryens wed brothers and sisters for 300 years to keep bloodlines pure.
Jaime and I are more than brother and sister. We shared a womb.
We came into this world together, we belong together.
Ned Stark: My son saw you with him.
Cersei: Do you love your children?
Ned Stark: With all my heart.
Cersei: No more than I love mine.
Ned Stark: And they are all Jaime's.
Cersei: Thank the Gods.

I worshipped him.
Every girl in The Seven Kingdoms dreamed of him but he was mine by oath.
And when I finally saw him on our wedding day in The Sept of Baelor,
lean and fierce and black-bearded,
it was the happiest moment of my life.
Then that night he crawled on top of me, stinking of wine, 
and did what he did... what little he could do... and whispered in my ear "Lyanna".
Your sister was a corpse and I was a living girl
and he loved her more than me.
~Cersei Lannister


Maester Luwin: The 'things' you speak of... they've been gone for thousand of years.
Osha: They wasn't gone, old man, they was sleeping. And they ain't sleeping no more.

Khal Drogo: The stallion who mounts the world has no need for iron chairs.
Daenerys: According to the prophecy, the stallion will ride to the ends of the earth.
Khal Drogo: The earth ends at the black salt sea. No horse can cross the poison water.
Daenerys: The earth does not end at the sea... there are many dirts beyond the sea.
The dirt where I was born.
Khal Drogo, correcting her: Not dirts. Lands.
Daenerys: Lands, yes...
There are thousands of ships in The Free Cities. Wooden horses that fly across the sea.
Khal Drogo: Let's speak no more of wooden horses and iron chairs.
Daenerys: It's not a chair. It's a... Throne.
A chair for a King to sit upon, or... a Queen.
Khal Drogo: A king does not need a chair to sit upon. He only needs a horse.

A man of The Night's Watch lives his life for The Realm, not for a king, or a lord,
or the honor of this house or that house, 
not for gold nor glory, nor a woman's love, 
but for The Realm and all the people in it.
You've all learned the words of your vow.
Think carefully before you say them.
The penalty for desertion is death.
~Lord Commander Mormont

Maester Aemon: Jon Snow, Lord Commander Mormont has requested you for his personal steward.
Jon Snow: Will I serve The Lord Commander's meals and fetch hot water for his bath?
Maester Aemon: Certainly.
And keep a fire burning in his chambers, 
change his sheets and blankets daily
and do everything else The Lord Commander requires of you.
Jon Snow: Do you take me for a servant?
Maester Aemon: We took you for a man of The Night's Watch.
But perhaps we were wrong in that.

Now listen to me.
The Old Man is The Lord Commander of The Night's Watch.
You'll be with him day and night.
Yes, you'll clean his clothes.
But you'll also take his letters, attend him at meetings, squire for him in battle.
You'll know everything, be part of everything.
And he asked for you himself.
He wants to groom you for command.
~Samwell Tarly, to Jon Snow.

Tell me something, do you still believe good soldiers make good kings?
~Renly Baratheon


Hear my words and bear witness to my vow.
Night gathers and now my watch begins.
It shall not end until my death.
I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children.
I shall war no crowns and win no glory.
I shall live and die at my post.
I am the sword in the darkness.
I am the watcher on The Walls.
I am the shield that guards The Realms of men.
I pledge my life and honor to The Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.
~The Night's Watch Vow

And to my son, the stallion who will mount the world, I will also pledged a gift.
I will give him The Iron Chair that his mother's father sat upon.
I will give him Seven Kingdoms.
I, Drogo, will do this.
I will take my khalasar west to where the world ends,
and ride wooden horses across the black salt water as no khal has done before.
I will kill the man in iron suits and tear down their stone houses.
I will rape their women, take their children as slaves
and bring their broken gods back to Vaes Dothrak.
This, I vow... I, Drogo, son of Bharbo.
I swear before The Mother of Mountains, 
as the stars look down in witness...
as the stars look down in witness.
~Khal Drogo oath
 


*****

THE POINTY END

[Syrio Forell dead]

There must always be a Stark at Winterfell.
Until I return that will be you.
You are not to leave the castle walls while we are gone.
Do you understand?
[Bran nods]
Listen to Maester Luwin.
Look after your little brother.
~Robb Stark to Bran, before he leaves

Bran: What did you mean about hearing The Gods?
Osha: You asked them, they're answering you, shhh...
Open your ears...
[the wind blows and the leaves rustling]
Bran: It's only the wind.
Osha: Who do you think sends the word if not The Gods?
They see you, boy, they hear you.

Robb: If I go to King's Landing and bend my knee to Joffrey...
Catelyn: You would never be allowed to leave, no!
Our best hope... our only hope... is that you can defeat them in the field.
Robb: And if I lose?
Catelyn: Do you know what happened to Targaryen's children when The Mad King fell?
Robb: They were butchered in their sleep.
Catelyn: On the orders of Tywin Lannister, and the years not made him kinder.
If you lose, your father dies, your sisters die, we die.

Cersei: You have served The Realm long and faithfully.
Every man and woman in The Seven Kingdoms owes you thanks.
But it is time to put aside your armor and your sword.
It is time to rest and look back with pride on your many years of service.
Ser Barristan, shocked: Your Grace, The Kingsguard is a sworn brotherhood.
Our vows are taken for life. Only death relieves us of our sacred trust.
Cersei: Whose death, Ser Barristan? Yours or your king's?
Joffrey: You let my father die. You're too old to protect anybody.
Cersei: The Council has determined that Ser Jaime Lannister will take your place
as Lord Commander of The Kingsguard.
Ser Barristan: The man who profaned his blade with the blood of the king he had sworn to defend.

As it please, Your Grace, 
I ask mercy for my father, Lord Eddard Stark, who was Hand of The King.
All I ask is mercy.
I know my lord father must regret what he did.
He was King Robert's friend and he loved him, you all know he loved him.
He never wanted to be Hand until The King asked him.
They must have lied to him... 
Lord Renly or Lord Stannis, or somebody, they must have lied!
He was badly hurt.
Maester Pycelle was giving him milk of the poppy.
He wasn't himself.
Otherwise, he never would have said it.
~Sansa Stark, begging to The King

Your sweet words have moved me.
But your father has to confess.
He has to confess and say that I'm The King... or there'll be no mercy for him.
~King Joffrey Baratheon


*****

BAELOR

When I was still a boy,  before they cut my balls off with a hot knife,
I traveled with a group of actors through The Free Cities.
They taught me that each man has a role to play.
The same is true at court.
I am The Master of Whisperers.
My role is to be sly, obsequious and without scrupples.
I'm a good actor, My Lord.
~Lord Varys, to Ned Stark

You grew up with actors.
You learned their crafts and you learned it well.
But I grew up with soldiers. 
I learned how to die a long time ago.
~Ned Stark, to Lord Varys

Jon Snow: This is Valyrian steel.
Lord Commander Mormont: It was my father's sword, his father before him.
The Mormont's have carried it for 5 centuries.
It was meant for my son Jorah.
He brought dishonor to our house, 
but he had the grace to leave the sword before he fled from Westeros.

Catelyn: Lord Walder has granted your crossing.
His men are yours as well, 
less the 400 he will keep here to hold the crossing aginst any who would pursue you.
Robb: And what does he want in return?
Catelyn: You will be taking on his son Olyvar as your personal squire.
He expects a knighthood in good time.
Robb: Fine fine... And?
Catelyn: And Arya will marry his son Waldron when they both come of age.
Robb: She won't be happy about that... And?
Catelyn: And... when the fighting is done... you will marry one of his daughters.
Whichever you prefer.
He has a number he thinks will be... suitable.
Robb: I see...
Did you get a look at his daughters?
[Theon chuckles]
Catelyn: I did.
Robb: And?
Catelyn: One was...
Do you consent?
Robb: Can I refuse?
Catelyn: Not if you want to cross.
Robb: Then I consent.

Maester Aemon: Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of The Night's Watch 
take no wives and father no children?
Jon Snow: No.
Maester Aemon: So they will not love.
Love is the death of duty.
If the day should ever come when your lord father was forced to choose 
between honor on the one hand and those he loves on the other, what would he do?
Jon Snow: He would do whatever was right, no matter what.
Maester Aemon: The Lord Stark is one man in 10.000. Most of us are not so strong.
What is honor compared to woman's love?
And what is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms?
Or a brother's smile?
Jon Snow: Sam told you.
Maester Aemon: We're all human.
Oh, we all do our duty when there's no cost to it. Honor comes easy then.
Yet sooner or later in every man's life there comes a day when it is not easy,
a day when he must choose.
Jon Snow: And this is my day? Is that what you're saying?
Maester Aemon: Oh it hurts, boy. Oh yes, I know.
Jon Snow: You do not know! No one knows!
I may be a bastard, but he is my father and Robb is my brother.
Maester Aemon, chuckles: The Gods were cruel when they saw fit to test my vows.
They waited till I was old.
What could I do when the ravens brought the news from The South...
the ruins of my house, the death of my family?
I was helpless, blind,  frail.
But when I heard they had killed my brother's son, and his poor son, and the childen!
Even the little children!
Jon Snow: Who are you?
Maester Aemon: My father was Maekar, the first of his name.
My brother Aegon reigned after him when I had refused The Throne.
And he was followed by his son Aerys, whom they called The Mad King.
Jon Snow, shocked: You're Aemon Targaryen.
Maester Aemon: I'm a Master of The Citadel, 
bound in service to Castle Black and The Night's Watch.
I will not tell you to stay or go.
You must make that choice yourself and live with it for the rest of your days.
As I have.


He fell from his horse.
A Khal who can not ride is no Khal.
~Qotho, about Khal Drogo

Shae: What do you want from me?
Tyrion: What do I want from you?
I want you to share my tent.
I want you to pour my wine, laugh at my jokes, 
rub my legs  when they're sore after a day's ride.
I want you to take no other man to bed for as long as we're together.
And I want you to fuck me like it's my last night in this world, which it may well be.
Shae: And what do I get?
Tyrion: One, safety.
No one will hurt you for as long as you're mine.
Two, the pleasure of my company, which I have heard is spectacular.
Shae: Who told you this? Women you paid?
Tyrion: And three, more gold than you can spend if you lived a thousand years.

Do you accept my proposal?
Shae: Let's start with your last night in this world.

Daenerys: Even if... even if he dies, why would I run?
I am Khaleesi and my... my son will be Khal after Drogo.
Ser Jorah Mormont: This isn't Westeros when man honor blood. 
Here they only honor strength.
There will be fighting after Drogo dies.
Who ever wins that fight will be the new khal.
He won't want any rivals.
Your boy will be plucked from your breast and given to the dogs.
Daenerys: I won't leave him.

Mirri Maz Duur: There is a spell. Some would say death is cleaner.
Daenerys: Do it. Save him.
Mirri Maz Duur: There is a price.
Daenerys: You'll have gold... Whatever you want.
Mirri Maz Duur: It's not a matter of gold.
Only death pays for life.

Our victory does not make us conquerors.
Did we free my father? Did we rescue my sisters from The Queen?
Did we free The North from those who want us on our knees?
This war is far from over.
~Robb Stark, after taking Jamie as captive

Ned Stark, in Sept of Baelor: I am Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of The King.
I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of Gods and men.
I betrayed the faith of my king and the trust of my friend Robert.
I swore to protect and defend his children, 
but before his blood was cold I plotted to murder his son and seize The Throne for myself.
[somebody throw a rock at Ned's forehead]
Let The High Septon and Baelor The Blessed bear witness to what I say,
Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to The Iron Throne, by the grace of all the gods,
Lord of The Seven Kingdoms and Protector of The Realm.
Maester Pycelle: As we sin, so do we suffer.
This man has confessed his crimes in sight of Gods and men.
The Gods are just but beloved Baelor taught us they can also merciful.
[to Joffrey] What is to be done with this traitor, Your Grace?
Joffrey, look at her mother: My mother wishes me to let Lord Eddard join The Night's Watch.
Stripped of all titles and powers, he would serve the realm in permanent exile.
[look at Sansa] And my Lady Sansa has begged mercy for her father.
[look at the crowd] But they have the soft hearts of women.
So long as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished.
Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!
[the crowd cheers]

Yoren, grab Arya as she rush to his father: Don't look!
Arya: Let me go! Let me go!
Yoren: Shut your mouth!
Look at me! Look at me!
[hugs her deep in his chest]

[Arya look up at the sky, see the birds are flying as her father beheaded]

*****

FIRE AND BLOOD

Yoren: Keep your mouth shut, boy.
Arya: I'm not a boy!
Yoren: You're not a smart boy, is that what you're trying to say?
Do you want to live, boy? [cut her hair]
North, boy, we're going north.

Joffrey: ... and as soon as you've had your blood, I'll put a son in you.
Mother says that shouldn't be long.
Sansa, as they arrived at The City Gates: No, please no!
Joffrey: This one's your father [points Ned's head on the spike] ... this one here.
Look at it and see what happens to traitor!
Sansa: You promised to be merciful.
Joffrey: I was. I gave him a clean death. 
Look at him!
Sansa: Please let me go home. I won't do any treason, I swear.
Joffrey: Mother says I'm still to marry you. So you'll stay here and obey.
LOOK AT HIM!
[Sansa lift her head and forces herself to see Ned's head] Well?
Sansa: How long do I have to look?
Joffrey: As long as it pleases me.
Do you want to see the rest?
Sansa, numb: If it please Your Grace.
Joffrey: That's your septa, over there...
I'll tell you what... I'm going to give you a present.
After I raise my armies and kill your traitor brother, I'm going to give you his head as well.
Sansa: Or maybe he'll give me yours.
Joffrey, angry: My mother tells me a king should never strike his lady.
Ser Meryn...
[Ser Meryn slaps her]

Greatjon Umber: My Lords... here what I say to these two kings [he spit].
Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither.
Why should they rule over me and mine from some flowery seat in The South?
What do they know of The Wall or the wolfswood?
Even their gods are wrong!
Why shouldn't we rule ourselves again?
It was the dragons we bowed to and now the dragons are dead...
[draws his sword to Robb]
There sits the only king I mean to bend my knee too...
The King in The North!
[Lord Umber bends on his knee, while Robb arise]
Lord Karstark, arise: I'll have peace on those terms.
They can keep their Red Castle and their Iron Chair too.
[draw his sword, bend on his knee]
The King in The North!
Theon, arise: Am I your brother, now and always?
Robb: Now and always.
Theon, also draw his sword dan bend on his knee: My sword is yours,
in victory and defeat from this day until my last day.
Lord Umber: THE KING IN THE NORTH!

Catelyn, after hit Jaime with a rock: I will kill you tonight, Ser,
pack your head in a box and send it to your sister.
Jaime: Let me show you how...
Hit me again, over the ear, and again and again.
You're stronger than you look... it shouldn't take long.
Catelyn: That is waht you want the world to believe, isn't it?
That you don't fear death?
Jaime: But I don't, My Lady. 
The dark is coming for all of us, why worry about it?
Catelyn: Because you are going to the deepest of The Seven Hells if The Gods are just!
Jaime: What Gods are those? The trees your husband prayed to?
Where were the trees when his head was getting chopped off?
If your Gods are real and if they are just, why is the world so full of injustice?
Catelyn: Because of men like you!
Jaime: There are no men like me. Only me.

Tywin: And you will go to King's Landing.
Tyrion: And do what?
Tywin: Rule!
You will serve as Hand of The King in my stead.
You will bring that boy king to heel and his mother too, if needs be.
And if you get so much as a whiff of treason from any of the rest; 
Baelish, Varys, Pycelle...
Tyrion: Heads, spikes, walls...
Why not my uncle? Why not anyone? Why me?
Tywin: You're my son.

Daenerys, found Khal Drogo lays helplessly on the ground: Drogo, my sun and stars.
Why is he out here alone?
Ser Jorah Mormont: He seems to like the warmth, Princess.
[Daenerys kiss Drogo]
Mirri Maz Duur: He lives.
You asked for life, you paid for life.
Daenerys: This is not life. When will he be as he was?
Mirri Maz Duur: When the sun rises in the west, sets in the east,
when the sea goes dry, when the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Daenerys: You know what I was buying and you knew the price.
Mirri Maz Duur: It was wrong of them to burn my temple.
It angered The Great Shepherd.
Daenerys: This is not God's work. My child was innocent.
Mirri Maz Duur: Innocent? 
He would have been the stallion who mounts the world.
Now he will burn no cities.
Now his khalasar will trample no nations into dust.
Daenerys: I spoke for you. I saved you.
Mirri Maz Duur: Saved me?
Three of those riders had already raped me before you saved me, girl.
I saw my God's house burn, 
there where I had healed men and women beyond counting.
In the streets, I saw piles of heads... 
the head of the bakes who makes my bread,
the head of young boy that I had cured of fever just 3 moons past.
So tell me again exactly what it was that you saved?
Daenerys: Your life.
Mirri Maz Duur: Hmph...
Why don't you take a look at your khal,
then you will see exactly what life is worth when all the rest has gone.

Pyp: We're taking you back to where you belong.
Jon Snow: I belong with my brother.
Sam: But we're your brothers now.
Grenn: They kill you if they find out you've gone.
Jon Snow: They'll kill you if they know you came after me.

[Khal Drogo die, by Daenerys]

Honor made you leave, honor brought you back.
~Lord Commander Mormont, to Jon Snow

Lord Commander: Beyond The Wall, the rangers are reporting whole villages abandoned.
At night they see fires blazing in the mountains from dusk until dawn.
A captured wildling swears their tribe are uniting in some secret stronghold,
to what ends The Gods only know.
Outside Eastwatch, Cotter Pyke's man discovered four blue-eyed corpses.
Unlike us, they were wise enough to burn them.
Do you think your brother's war is more important than ours?
Jon Snow: No.
Lord Commander: When dead man and worse come hunting for us in the night,
do you think it matters who sits in The Iron Throne?
Jon Snow: No.
Lord Commander: Good.
Because I want you and your wolf with us when we ride out beyond The Wall tomorrow.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment