OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: BLACK HAWK DOWN [2001]

Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

BLACK HAWK DOWN [2001]

 Leave No Man Behind


Atto: Mr. Garrison, I think you shouldn't have come here.
This is civil war. This is our war. Not yours.
Garrison: 300,000 dead and counting.
That's not a war, Mr. Atto, that's genocide.

You Delta boys are a bunch of undisciplined cowboys.
Let me tell you something, Sargeant.
When we get on a 5 yard line, you're going to need my Rangers.
Y'all better learn to be team players.
~LTC Danny McKnight

These people, they have no jobs, no food, no education, no future.
We have 2 things that we can do.
We can help or we can sit back and watch the country destroy itself on CNN.
~SSG Matt Eversmann

Hoot: It don't really matter what I think. 
Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit... 
just goes right out the window.
Eversmann: I just want to do it right today.
Hoot: Just watch your corner.
Get all your men back here alive.

Good luck, boys.
Be careful.
No one gets left behind.
~MG William F. Garrison

We got a Black Hawk down, we got a Black Hawk down
Super 61 is down.
We got a bird down in the city.
Super 61 is on the deck now.

Thomas: I can't go back out there.
Struecker: Thomas, everyone feels the same way you do, all right?
It's what you do right now that makes a difference.
It's your call, hoo-ah?


Durant: What do you want with me?
Firimbi: You have taken hostages, we have you.
Durant: My government will never negotiate for me.
Firimbi: Then perhaps you and I can negotiate, huh?
Soldier to soldier.
Durant: I'm not in charge.
Firimbi: Of course not. 
You have the power to kill, but not negotiate.
In Somalia, killing is negotiation.
Do you really think if you get General Aidid,
we will simply put down our weapons and adopt American democracy?
That the killing will stop?
We know this, without victory, there can be no peace.
There will always be killing, you see?
This is how things are in our world.

Smith: I'm sorry.
Eversmann: You don't have anything to be sorry for.
You saved Twombly. You did perfect.
You did what you were trained to do.
You should be proud of that.
Be proud of that.
Smith: Ev, do me a favor.
You tell my parents that I fought well today.
And that I fought hard.
Eversmann: You're going to tell them yourself, okay?

Hoot: You're thinking. Don't.
Because, Sergeant, you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't.
Who falls out of a chopper or why.
It ain't up to you.
It's just war.
Eversmann: Yeah, well, Smith's still dead.
This all happened because Blackburn fell.
Hoot: Should have, could have, don't matter.
You'll get plenty of time to think about all that later, believe me.
Sergeant, you got your men this far.
You did it right today.
You need to start thinking about getting these men out of here.


When I go home and people ask me, 
"Hey, Hoot, why do you do it, man? Why? You some kind of war junkie?"
I won't say a goddamn word.
Why?
They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it.
They won't understand it's about the men next to you.
And that's it, that's all it is.
~SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson

A friend of mine asked me before I got here, it was when we were all shipping out,
"Why are you going to fight somebody else's war?
What, do y'all think you're heroes?"
I didn't know what to say at the time, but if he asked me again, I'd say no.
I'd say there's no way in hell.
Nobody asks to be a hero.
It just sometimes turns out that way.
~SSG Matt Eversmann





*****

No comments:

Post a Comment