OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: A WALK TO REMEMBER [2002]

Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A WALK TO REMEMBER [2002]

Find Out Who You Are 
And Do It On Purpose
 

 Jamie: This is a star frame. It will help you locate stars with your naked eye.
 Mercury and Jupiter can be seen just over the west horizon after sunset.
Dean, passing by: Bet you can see angels up there, flying around.
Jamie: In fact, there are things that could be called miraculous.
Einstein said the more he studied the universe, the more he believed in a higher power.
Dean: If there is a higher power, why can't he get you a new sweater?
Jamie: He's too busy looking for your brain.

Jamie: Please don't pretend like you know me, okay?
Landon: But I do. I do.
We have all the same classes since kindergarten.
Why, you're Jamie Sullivan, you sit at lunch table 7.
It's not the reject table, but it's definitely self-exile territory.
You have exactly one sweater.
You look at your feet when you walk.
And for fun, you tutor on weekends and hang out with the Stars and Planets kids.
How's that sound?
Jamie: Fairly predictable. Nothing I haven't heard before.

Jamie: You don't care about classes, 
but you like school because you're popular and you'll never be on top again.
Landon: That's thoroughly predictable.
Jamie: Your act only works on an audience.

Jamie: 42.
Landon: What do you mean, 42?
Jamie: 42 is befriend somebody I don't like.
It's a to-do list I have for my life.
Landon: Like getting a new personality?
Jamie: Join the Peace Corps, make a medical discovery...
Landon: Ambitious.
Jamie: Be in 2 places at once, get a tattoo.
Landon: What's number 1?
Jamie: I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

Jamie: Landon Carter's asking me for help?
Landon: Yeah.
Jamie: Okay, I'll pray for you. [walk away]
Landon: Jamie, look...
Jamie: You've obviously never asked anybody for help before, right?
A request like yours requires flattery and groveling.
It can't be all about you. It has to be for the common good.
Landon: It is for the common good. Eddie Zimmerhoff deserves the best.
Please?
Jamie: Okay, one condition, though.
Landon: What's that?
Jamie: You have to promise you won't fall in love with me.
Landon, chuckles: That's not a problem.

Landon: I get it.
Jamie: Get what?
Landon: That you're into all this stuff. [point at the telescope]
Jamie: This stuff...
I have my beliefs, I have faith, but don't you?
Landon: No. There's too much bad shit in this world.
Jamie: Without suffering, there's no compassion.
Landon: Tell that to those who suffer.

Landon: I was hoping we could run lines together.
Jamie: Okay, but just not so anybody knows, right?
Landon: I just figured we could surprise everyone with how good I get.
Jamie: Like, we could be secret friends...
Landon: Exactly! It's like you're reading my mind.
Jamie: Great! Maybe you could read mine?
[Jamie going inside her house]
Landon: Jamie, I can't just be your friend.
Jamie: Landon, I thought I saw something in you. Something good.
But I was very wrong.

Landon: Maybe I miss spending time with you. Maybe you inspire me.
Jamie: Sounds like bull.
Landon: Which part?
Jamie: All of it.
Landon: It's not.
Jamie: Prove it!

Jamie: You've no idea how to be a friend.
Landon: I just don't want that.
Jamie: You don't know what you want.
Landon: You're scared someone wants you.
Jamie: Why would that scare me?
Landon: You couldn't hide behind books, or your fricking telescope, or your faith.
[Jamie walks away]
No. You know the real reason why you're scared?
It's because you want to be with me too.



Eric: You got Belinda thinking that little lip action between you and Jamie was kind of real.
[sigh] What's with you, man?
You don't have time for your real friends anymore.
Landon: I don't know, buddy. I'm just over it.
I'm sick and tired of doing the same shit all the time.
Eric: This girl's changed you and you don't even know it.
Landon: Let me guess, Belinda say that too?
Eric: No. I did.

Rev. Sullivan: Boys like that [point at Landon] they have... they have expectations.
The rules around here are not gonna change.
Jamie: Fine.
Rev. Sullivan: You might not care what I say or think, but you should care about God's opinion.
Jamie: I think He wants me to be happy.

I'm sorry I haven't treated Jamie the way I should have.
She deserves more than that.
I'm asking you for the same thing that you teach us everyday in church.
And that's faith.
~Landon Carter



Jamie: How can you see places like this and have moments like this, and not believe?
Landon: You're lucky to be so sure.
Jamie: It's like the wind.
I can't see it, but I feel it.
Landon: What do you feel?
Jamie: I feel wonder and beauty, joy, love...
I mean, it's the center of everything.
Landon: I might kiss you.
Jamie: I might be bad at it.
Landon: That's not possible. [kiss her]
Jamie, I love you.
[Jamie didn't say anything]
Now would be the time to say something.
Jamie: I told you not to fall in love with me.




Landon: So, what's your number one?
Jamie: To marry in the church where my mother grew up.
That's where my parents were married.


Jamie: I'm sick. I have leukemia.
Landon: No. You're 18, you're perfect.
Jamie: I found out 2 years ago.
I've stopped responding to treatments.
Landon: So why didn't you tell me?
Jamie: The doctor said I should go on and live life normally, as best I could.
I didn't want anybody to be weird around me.
Landon: Including me?
Jamie: Especially you!
I was getting along and everything's fine.
I accepted it, and then you happened!
I do not need a reason to be angry with God.

Eric: Talk to me, man.
Landon: About what?
Eric: About you... about Jamie...
Landon: What's there to talk about?
She's the best person I've ever known.

Landon: Are you scared?
Jamie: To death. [cheer him up] Lighten up.
Landon: It's not funny.
Jamie: I'm scared of not being with you.
Landon, hug her: Oh, baby, that will never happen.

Belinda: I guess you're with who you should be.
It's like she chose you.
Landon: Yeah, I don't even know why.
Belinda: I do.

Find out who you are and do it on purpose.


Landon: Do you love me?
Jamie: Mm-hm.
Landon: Will you do something for me then?
Jamie: Anything.
Landon: Will you marry me?







 *****

No comments:

Post a Comment