OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: MOULIN ROUGE! [2001]

Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

MOULIN ROUGE! [2001]

Every Man Wanted Her
But One Man Dared To Love Her

Christian: I can't write the show for the Moulin Rouge!
Toulouse: Why not?
Christian: I don't even know if I am a true Bohemian revolutionary.
Toulouse: Do you believe in beauty?
Christian: Yes...
The Unconscious Argentinean: Freedom?
Christian: Yes, of course.
Pianist: Truth?
Christian: Yes...
Doctor: Love?
Christian: Above all things, I believe in love.
Love is like oxygen.
Love is a many-splendored thing.
Love lifts us up where we belong.
All you need is love!
Toulouse: See, you can't fool us.
You're the voice of The Children of The Revolution.


Outside, it may be raining.
But in here it's entertaining.
The Moulin Rouge is a place to be.
Outside, things may be tragic.
 But in here we feel it's magic.
~Harold Zidler


The Duke: What's the story?
Zidler: The story?
The Duke: If I'm to invest, I need to know the story.
Zidler: The story's about... Toulouse?
Toulouse: The story is... The story's about... It's about...
Christian: It's about love.
The Duke: Love?
Christian: It's about love overcoming all obstacles.
Toulouse: And it's set in Switzerland.
The Duke: Switzerland?
Zidler: Exotic Switzerland.
Christian: India! India! It's set in India!
And there's a courtesan, the most beautiful courtesan in all the world.
But her kingdom's invaded by an evil maharajah.
Now, in order to save her kingdom, she has to seduce the evil maharajah.
But on the night of the seduction, she mistakes a penniless...
a penniless sitar player for the evil maharajah,
and she falls in love with him.
He wasn't trying to trick her.
But he was dressed as a maharajah because he's appearing in a play.
The Unconscious Argentinean: I will play the penniless tango-dancing sitar player.
 He will sing like an angel but dance like the devil.
The Duke: Yes, all right. And what happens next?
Christian: The penniless sitar player and the courtesan they have to hide their love from the evil maharajah.
Pianist: The sitar player's sitar is magical.
It can only speak the truth.
Toulouse: And I will play the magical sitar.
[to Satine] You are beautiful.
[to Zidler] You are ugly.
[to The Duke] And you...
[everyone cover his mouth]
The Duke: And he gives the game away, eh?
All: Yes!
Zidler: Tell him about the cancan!
Christian: The Tantric cancan...
Zidler: It's an erotic, spectacular scene that captures the thrusting, violent, vibrant, wild,
Bohemian spirit, that this whole production embodies, Duke.
The Duke: What do you mean by that?
Zidler: I mean the show will be a magnificent, opulent, tremendous, stupendous, gargantuan bedazzlement! A sensual ravishment.
It will be... Spectacular Spectacular.
No words in the vernacular can describe this great event.
You'll be dumb with wonderment returns are fixed at 10%.
You must agree that's excellent.
And on top of your fee...
All: You'll be involved artistically.
[singing]
So exciting the audience will stomp and cheer
So delighting it will run for 50 years
So exciting the audience will stomp and cheer
 So delighting it will run for 50 years

The Duke: But what happens in the end?
 Christian: The courtesan and sitar man are pulled apart by an evil plan
Satine: But in the end she hears his song
Christian: And their love is just too strong

Christian: Before, when we were... when we were...
When you thought I was The Duke, you said that you loved me,
and I wondered...
Satine: If it was just an act?
 Christian: Yes.
Satine: Of course.
Christian: It just felt real.
Satine: Christian, I'm a courtesan.
I'm paid to make men believe what they want to believe.
Christian: Silly of me, to think you could fall in love with someone like me.
Satine: I can't fall in love with anyone.
Christian: Can't fall in love?
But, a life without love? That's terrible!
Satine: No, being on the street, that's terrible.
Christian: No, Love is like oxygen.
Love is a many-splendored thing.
Love lifts us up where we belong.
All you need is love.
Satine: Please don't start that again.
Christian, singing: All you need is love.
Satine: A girl has to eat.
Christian: All you need is love.
Satine: Or she'll end up on the streets.
Christian: All you need is love...
Satine, singing: Love is just a game.
Christian: I was made for loving you, baby, you were made for loving me.
Satine: The only way of loving me, baby, is to pay a lovely fee.
Christian: Just one night, give me just one night.
Satine: There's no way cause you can't pay.
Christian: In the name of love, one night in the name of love.
Satine: You crazy fool, I won't give in to you.
Christian: Don't leave me this way.
I can't survive without your sweet love.
Oh baby, don't leave me this way.
Satine: You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
Christian: I look around me and I see it isn't so.
Satine: Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs.
Christian: Well, what's wrong with that? I'd like to know.
Cause here I go again...
Love lifts us up where we belong
Where eagles fly on a mountain high.
Satine: Love makes us act like we are fools.
Throw our lives away for one happy day.
Christian: We could be heroes... just for one day.
Satine: You... you will be mean.
And I... I'll drink all the time.
Christian: We should be lovers...
Satine: We can't do that.
Christian: We should be lovers... And that's a fact.
Satine: Though nothing will keep us together.
Christian: We could steal time...
Christian & Satine: Just for one day.
We could be heroes, forever and ever.
We can be heroes...
Christian: Just because I will always love...
Satine: I.....
Christian & Satine: Can't help loving...
Christian: You...

How wonderful life was now Satine was in the world.
~Christian


Zidler: Are you mad?
The Duke holds the deeds to the Moulin Rouge.
He's spending a fortune on you.
He's given you a beautiful new dressing room.
He wants to make you a star.
And you're dallying with the writer?
Satine: Harold, don't be rid...
Zidler: I saw you together!
Satine: It's nothing.
It's just an infatuation. It's nothing.
Zidler: The infatuation will end.
Go to the boy, tell him it's over.
The Duke is expecting you in the tower at 8.


Never knew I could feel like this
Like I've never seen the sky before
Want to vanish inside your kiss
Seasons may change, winter to spring
But I love you, until the end of time
Come what may... Come what may
I will love you, until my dying day
Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place
Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste
It all revolves around you
And there's no mountain too high, no river too wide
Sing out this song and I'll be there by your side
Storms clouds may gather and stars may collide
But I love you, until the end of time
Come what may... Come what may
I will love you, until my dying day

The Duke: I don't like this ending.
Zidler: Don't like the ending, my dear Duke?
The Duke: Why would the courtesan choose a penniless sitar player over the maharajah
who is offering a lifetime of security?
That's real love.
Once the sitar player has satisfied his lust he will leave the courtesan with nothing.
I suggest that in the end, the courtesan choose the maharajah.
Toulouse: But, but, sorry...
But that ending does not uphold the Bohemian ideals of truth, beauty, freedom...
The Duke: I don't care about your ridiculous dogma!
Why shouldn't the courtesan choose the maharajah?
Christian: BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T LOVE YOU!
Him... Him...
She doesn't love... She doesn't love him.
The Duke: Now I see.
Monsieur Zidler, this ending will be rewritten
with the courtesan choosing the maharajah and without the lover's secret song.
It will be rehearsed in the morning, ready for the opening tomorrow night.

Don't worry, Shakespeare, you'll get your ending.
Once The Duke gets his end in.
~Nini

Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself.
It always ends bad!
~The Unconscious Argentinean

 We have a dance in the brothels of Buenos Aires.
It tells the story of a prostitute and a man who falls in love with her.
First, there is desire.
Then, passion.
Then, suspicion.
Jealousy, anger, betrayal.
When love is for the highest bidder, there can be no trust.
Without trust, there is no love.
Jealousy will drive you mad.
~The Unconscious Argentinean

Zidler: Send Christian away.
Only you can save him.
Satine: He'll fight for me.
Zidler: Yes. Unless he believes you don't love him.
Satine: What?
Zidler: You're a great actress, Satine.
Make him believe you don't love him.
Use your talent to save him.
Hurt him. Hurt him to save him.
There is no other way.
The show must go on, Satine.
We're creatures of the underworld, we can't afford to love.


Christian: Tell me the truth!
Satine: The truth is I am the Hindi courtesan.
And I choose the maharajah.
That's how the story really ends.

I've come to pay my bill.
You made me believe you loved me, why shouldn't I pay you?
You did your job so very, very well.
Why can't I pay you like everyone does?
If you don't love me and it wasn't real, why can't I pay you?
Let me pay! Let me pay!
Tell me it wasn't real!
Tell me you don't love me!
~Christian

[to The Duke] This woman is yours now.
I've paid my whore.
[to Satine] I owe you nothing and you are nothing to me.
Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love.
~Christian

Never knew I could feel like this
Like I've never seen the sky before
Want to vanish inside your kiss
Everyday I'm loving you more and more
Listen to my heart, can you hear it sing?
Come back to me and forgive everything
Seasons may change, winter to spring
I love you till the end of time
Come what may... Come what may
I will love you until my dying day
Come what may... Come what may
I will love you until my dying day

Christian: I love you.
Satine: You've got to go on, Christian.
Christian: I can't go on without you.
Satine: You've got so much to give.
Tell our story, Christian.
Promise me... Promise me...
That way, I'll always be with you.


*****

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quotes.... keep-up the good work... Good experience.... keep-up the good work... May I share a blog about the Montmartre in Paris in https://stenote.blogspot.com/2018/06/paris-at-montmartre.html
    Watch also the video in youtube at: https://youtu.be/FOC5LhoiCz4

    ReplyDelete