OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: X-MEN [2000]

Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

X-MEN [2000]

Trust a Few, Fear the Rest



I have here a list of names of identified mutants living right here in the United States.
A girl in Illinois who walks through walls.
What's to stop her from walking into a bank vault?
Or into The White House?
Or into their houses?
And there are even rumours of mutants so powerful that they can enter our minds and control our thoughts,
taking away our God-given free will.
I think the American people deserve the right to decide whether they want their children to be in school with mutants, to be taught by mutants.
Ladies and gentlemen, the truth is that mutants are very real.
And they are among us.
We must know who they are, and above all, we must know what they can do.
~Senator Kelly

Rogue: When people touch my skin, something happens.
Wolverine: What?
Rogue: I don't know, they just get hurt.


Wolverine: What kind of a name is Rogue?
Rogue: I don't know. What kind of a name is Wolverine?
Wolverine: My name's Logan.
Rogue: Marie.

Professor X: You're in my school for the gifted.
You'll be safe here from Magneto.
Wolverine: What's a magneto?
Professor X: A very powerful mutant
who believes a war is brewing between mutants and the reest of humanity.
I've been following his activities for some time.
The man who attacked you is an associate of his called Sabretooth.
Wolverine: Sabretooth? [smirking]
Storm. [pointing at Storm]
[to Professor X] What do they call you? Wheels? [giggles]
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Anonymity is a mutant's first defence against the world's hostility.
To the public, we're merely a school for gifted youngsters.
Cyclops, Storm, and Jean were some of my first students.
I protected them, taught them to control their powers,
and in time, teach others to do the same.
The students are mostly run away; frightened, alone.
Some with gifts so extreme they're a danger to themselves and those around them.
Like your friend Rogue, incapable of physical human contact,
probably for the rest of her life.
And yet here she is with others her own age, learning, being accepted, not feared.
~Professor X

Wolverine: What will happen to her?
Professor X: That's up to her.
Rejoin the world as an educated young woman,
or stay on to each others, to become what the children have affectionally called "X-Men".


When I was a boy I discovered I had the power to control people's minds.
Make them think or do whatever I wanted.
When I was 17, I met a young man named Eric Lensherr.
He, too, had an unusual power.
He could create magnetic fields and control metal.
Believing that humanity would never accept us, he grew angry and vengeful.
He became Magneto.
~Professor X

There are mutants out there with incredible powers, Logan.
And many who do not share my respect for mankind.
If no one is equipped to oppose them, humanity's days could be over.
~Professor X

If it were up to me, I'd lock 'em all away.
It's a war.
It's the reason people like me exist.
~Senator Kelly.


Jean-Grey: The metal is an alloy called adamantium.
Supposedly undestuctible.
It's been surgically grafted to his entire skeleton.
Storm: How could he have survived a procedure like that?
Jean-Grey: His mutation.
He has uncharted regenerative capability which enalbes him to heal rapidly.
This also makes his age impossible to determine.
He could very well be older than you, Professor.
Cyclops: Who did this to him?
Jean-Grey: He doesn't know.
Nor does he remember anything about his life before it happened.

Are you a God-fearing man, Senator?
It's such a strange phrase.
I've always thought of God as a teacher,
as a bringer of light, wisdom and understanding.
You see, I think what you really are afraid of is me.
Me and my kind. The brotherhood of mutant.
It's not so surprising, really.
Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand.
~Magneto

Actually, I'm telekinetic.
I can move things with my mind.
All kinds of things.
I also have telephatic ability.
~Jean-Grey


Wolverine: You gonna tell me to stay away from your girl?
Cyclops: If I had to do that, she wouldn't be my girl.
Wolverine: Then I guess you've got nothing to worry about, do you... Cyclops?
Cyclops: It must just burn you up that a boy like me saved your life, huh?
You oughta be careful, I might not be there next time.
[before he close the door] Oh, and Logan, stay away from my girl.

 Wolverine: Is she all right?
Professor X: She'll be all right.
Wolverine: What did she do to me?
Professor X: Whenever Rogue touches someone, she takes their energy, their life force.
In the case of mutants, she absorbs their gifts for a short while.
In your case, your ability to heal.
Wolverine: It felt like she almost killed me.
Professor X: If she'd held out any longer, she could have.

[getting into Cerebro]
Wolverine: This certainly is a big, round room.
Professor X: The brain waves of mutants are different from average human beings.
This device amplifies my power, allowing me to locate mutants across great distances.
That's how I intend to find Rogue.
Wolverine: Why don't you just use it to find Magneto?
Professor X: I've been trying, but he's found some way to shield himself from it.
Wolverine: How would he know how to do that?

The first boy I ever kissed ended up in coma for 3 weeks.
I can still feel him inside my head.
And it's the same with you.
~Rogue, to Wolverine


Still unwilling to make sacrifices.
That's what makes you weak.
~Magneto, to Professor X

Storm: Help us. Fight with us.
Wolverine: Fight with you? Join the team? Be an X-man?
Who the hell do you think you are?
You're a mutant.
The whole world out there is full of people that hate and fear you,
and you're wasting your time trying to protect them.
I got better things to do.
You know Magneto's right, there's a war coming.
Are you sure you're on the right side?
Storm: At least I've chosen a side.


You've taught me everything in my life that was ever worth knowing.
And if anything happens, I'll take care of them.
~Cyclops, to a comatose Professor X


Magneto: You know this plastic prison of theirs won't hold me forever.
The war is still coming, Charles, and I intend to fight it.
By any means necessary.
Professor X: And I will always be there, old friend.



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment