OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS [2002]

Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS [2002]

The Battle For Middle-Earth Begins!


The world is changing.
Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard and Mordor?
To stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman and the union of the two towers?
Together, my Lord Sauron, we shall rule this middle-earth.
The Old World will burn in the fires of industry.
The forests will fall.
A new order will rise.
We will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fists of the Orc.
~Saruman

Treebeard: Little Orc...
Pippin: It's talking, Merry, the tree is talking.
Treebeard: Tree? I am no tree!
I am an Ent!
 Merry: A tree herder, a shepherd of the forest.
Pippin: Don't talk to it, Merry, don't encourage it!
Treebeard: Treebeard, some call me.
Pippin: And whose side are you on?
Treebeard: Side?
I am nobody's side, because nobody's on my side, little orc.
Nobody cares for the woods anymore.

Frodo: Who are you?
Gollum: Mustn't ask. Not its business.
Gollum, Gollum.
Frodo: Gandalf told me you were one of the river-folk.
Gollum: Cold be heart and hand and bone.
Cold be travelers far from home.
Frodo: He said your life was a sad story.
Gollum: They do not see what lies ahead.
When sun has failed and moon is dead.
Frodo: You were not so very different from a hobbit once, were you?
Smeagol...
Gollum: What did you call me?
Frodo: That was your name once, wasn't it? A long time ago.
Gollum: My name... my name... Smeagol

Legolas: The trees are speaking to each other.
Aragorn, to Gimli: Gimli, lower your axe.
Legolas: They have feelings, my firend.
The elves began it.
Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak.
Gimli: Talking trees.
What do trees have to talk about?
Except the consistency of squirrel droppings.


King Theoden: I know what it is you want from me, but I will not bring further death to my people.
I will not risk open war.
Aragorn: Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not.

Aragorn: You have some skill with a blade.
Eowyn: Women of this country learned long ago; those without swords can still die upon them.
I fear neither death nor pain.
Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?
Eowyn: A cage.
To stay behind bars until use and old cage accept them.
And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.
Aragorn: You're a daughter of a king, a shieldmaiden of Rohan.
I do not think that would be your fate.

Gollum: We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious. 
They stole it from us, sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false.
Smeagol: No... not master.
Gollum: Yes, precious. False.
They will cheat you, hurt you, lie!
Smeagol: Master's my friend.
Gollum: You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you.
Smeagol: Not listening. I'm not listening.
Gollum: You're a liar and a thief.
Murderer.
Smeagol: Go away.
Gollum: Go away? [chuckles]
Smeagol: I hate you. I hate you.
Gollum: Where would've you be without me?
Gollum, Gollum. I saved us!
It was me. We survived because of me.
Smeagol: Not anymore.
Gollum: What did you say?
Smeagol: Master looks after us now. We don't need you.
Gollum: What?
Smeagol: Leave now, and never come back!
Gollum: No!
Smeagol: Leave now, and never come back!
 [Gollum growl]
Smeagol: Leave now, and never come back!
[silent]
Smeagol: We told him to go away, and away he goes, precious.
Gone gone gone... Smeagol is free...

Eowyn: Uncle told me a strange things.
He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather.
But he must be mistaken.
Aragorn: King Theoden has a good memory.
He was only a small child at the time.
Eowyn: Then you must be at least 60.
[Aragorn got embarrassed] 70? But you cannot be 80!
Aragorn: 87.
Eowyn: You are one of the Dunedain, a descendant of Numenor, blessed with long life.
 It was said that you race had passed into legend.

 Arwen: Is it how you would take your leave?
Did you think you could slip away at first light, unnoticed?
Aragorn: I will not be coming back.
Arwen: You underestimate your skill in battle.
You will come back.
Aragorn: It is not of death in battle that I speak.
Arwen: What do you speak of?
Aragorn: You have a chance for another life, away from war, grief, despair.
Arwen: Why are you saying this?
Aragorn: I am mortal. You are elf-kind.
It was a dream, Arwen. Nothing more.

 Legolas: Look at them, they're frightened.
I can see it in their eyes... and they should be.
300 hundreds, against 10,000!
Aragorn: They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras...
Legolas: Aragorn, they cannot win this fight.
They are all going to die!
Aragorn: Then I shall die as one of them!

Where is the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow.
The days have gone down in the west, behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
~King Theoden

I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell.
An alliance once existed between Elves and Men.
Long ago we fought and died together.
We come to honor that allegiance.
We are proud to fight alongside Men once more.
~Haldir

Gimli: Well, lad, whatever luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night.
Legolas: Your friends are with you, Aragorn.
Gimli: Let's hope they last the night.

Gimli: What's happening out there?
Legolas: Shall I describe it to you?
Or would you like me to find you a box?

Pippin: Maybe Treebeard's right, we don't belong here, Merry.
It's too big for us.
What can we do in the end?
We've got the Shire.
Maybe we should go home.
Merry: The fires of Isengard will spread,
anf the woods of Tuckborough and Buckland will burn.
And all that was once green and good in this world will be gone.
There won't be a Shire, Pippin.

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong.
By rights, we shouldn't even be here.
But we are.
It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo.
The ones that really mattered, full of darkness and danger they were.
And sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy?
How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?
But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow.
 Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer.
Those were the stories that stayed with you that meant something.
Even if you were too small to understand why.
But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now.
Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't.
They kept going because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo.
And it's worth fighting for.




*****

No comments:

Post a Comment