OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE MUMMY [1999]

Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

THE MUMMY [1999]

The Sands Will Rise
The Heavens Will Part
The Power Will Be Unleashed

For 3,000 years, men and armies fought over this land, never knowing what evil lay beneath it.
And for 3,000 years, we, The Magi, the descendants of Pharaoh's sacred bodyguard, kept watch.
~Ardeth Bay

Dr. Bey: Why do I put up with you?
Evy: Well, you put up with me because I can read and write Ancient Egyptian.
And I can decipher hieroglyphics and hieratic.
And I am the only person within 1,000 miles who knows how to properly code and catalog this library, that's why.

Evy: I've already dated the map, it's almost 3,000 years old.
And if you look at the hieratic just here, it's Hamunaptra.
Dr. Bey: Dear God, don't be ridiculous.
We're scholars, not treasure hunters.
Hamunaptra's a myth told by ancient Arab storytellers to amuse Greek and Roman tourists.

Many men have wasted their lives in the foolish pursuit of Hamunaptra.
No one's ever found it.
Most have never returned.
~Dr. Terrence Bey

Evy: Did I miss something? Are we... Are we going into battle?
 Rick: Lady, there's something out there. Something underneath that sand.
Evy: Yes, I'm hoping to find a certain artifact. A book, actually.
My brother thinks there's treasure.
What do you think's out there?
Rick: In a word? Evil.
The Bedouin and The Tuaregs believe that Hamunaptra is cursed.
Evy: I don't believe in fairy tales and hokum, Mr. O'Connell,
but I do believe one of the most famous books in history is buried there.
The Book of Amun-Ra.
It contains within it all the secret incantations of the old kingdom.
It's what first interested me in Egypt when I was a child.
It's why I came here.
Sort of a life's pursuit.
Rick: And the fact that they say it's made out of pure gold makes no never mind to you?
Evy: Right. You know history.
Rick: I know my treasure.

Rick: Let me get this straight.
They ripped out your guts and stuffed them in jars?
Evy: They'd take out your heart as well.
You know how they took out your brains?
Jonathan: Evy, I don't think we need to know this.
Evy: They'd take a sharp, red-hot poker, stick it up your nose,
scramble things about a bit, and then rip it all out through your nostrils.
Rick: That's gonna hurt.
Evy: It's called mummification.
You'll be dead when they do this.
Rick: For the record, if I don't make it out of here, don't put me down for mummification.

[as Imhotep's sarcophagus fell down]
Oh, my God.
It's a sarcophagus.
 Buried at the base of Anubis.
He must have been someone of great importance.
Or he did something very naughty.
~Evelyn Carnahan

Jonathan: Maybe this place is really cursed.
Evy: Oh, for goodness' sake, you two!
Rick: You don't believe in curse?
Evy: No, I don't.
I believe if I can see it and I can touch it, it's real.
That's what I believe.


Evy: Scarab skeletons, flesh-eaters.
I found them inside our friend's coffin.
They can stay alive for years feasting on the flesh of a corpse.
Unfortunately for our friend, he was still alive when they started eating him.
Rick: So somebody threw these in with our guy, and then they slowly ate him alive?
Evy: Very slowly.
Jonathan: He certainly wasn't as popular fellow when they planted him, was he?
Rick: He probably got a little too frisky with the pharaoh's daughter.
Evy: According to my readings, our friend suffered the Hom-Dai,
the worst of all ancient Egyptian curses, one reserved only for the most evil of blasphemers.
In my research, I've never heard of this curse having actually been performed.
Rick: That bad, huh?
Evy: They never used it because they feared it so.
It's written that if a victim of the Hom-Dai should ever arise, 
he would bring with him the 10 plagues of Egypt.

Ardeth: I told you to leave or die.
You refused.
Now you may have killed us all, for you have unleashed a creature we have feared for more
than 3,00 years.

Rick: Relax, I got him.
Ardeth: No mortal weapon can kill this creature.
He's not of this world.


Evy: According to legend, the black book the Americans found at Hamunaptra is supposed to bring people back from the dead.
Until now, it was a notion I was unwilling to believe.
Rick: That's what brought our buddy back to life?
Evy: I'm thinking that if the black book can bring dead people to life...
Rick: Then maybe the gold one can kill him.
Evy: That's the myth.
Now, we just have to find out where the golden book is hidden.

Evy: Have you got any bright ideas?
Rick: I'm thinking, I'm thinking.
Evy: You better think of something fast, because if he turns me into a mummy,
you're the first one I'm coming after.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment