OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: THE PRINCE OF EGYPT [1998]

Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

THE PRINCE OF EGYPT [1998]

Two Brothers United by Friendship Divided by Destiny

Seti: Responsible, huh!
Do you know the meaning of that word, Rameses?
Rameses: I understand, Father.
Seti: And do you understand the task for which your birth has destined you?
The ancient traditions.
When I pass into the next world, then you will be the morning and evening star.
Rameses: One damaged temple does not destroy centuries of tradition.
Seti: But one weak link can break the chain of a mighty dynasty!

Miriam: I know to whom I speak, Aaron.
[to Moses] I know who you are, and you are not a prince of Egypt.
Aaron: Miriam...
Moses: What did you say?
Aaron: Your Highness, pay her no heed.
C-come, Miriam. May I discuss something with you?
Miriam: No, Aaron, no!
Please Moses, you must believe.
Aaron: That's enough.
Miriam: You were born of my mother, Yocheved.
Aaron: Stop it!
Miriam: You are our brother!
Moses: Now you go too far. You shall be punished!
Aaron, kneel before Moses: No! Please, Your Highness.
She's ill. She's very ill.
We beg your forgiveness.
[to Miriam] Please, Miriam, let us go.
Miriam: No, Aaron.
[to Moses] Our mother set you adrift in a basket to save your life!
Moses: Save my life? From who?
Miriam: Ask the man that you call "Father".
Moses: How dare you?!
Miriam: God saved you to be our deliverer.
Moses: Enough of this.
Miriam: And you are, Moses, you are the deliverer.
Moses: I said enough! You will regret this night!

Seti: The Hebrews grew too numerous.
They might have risen against us.
Moses: Father, tell me you didn't do this.
Seti: Moses, sometimes, for the greater good, sacrifices must be made.
Moses: Sacrifices?
Seti, hug Moses: Oh, my son, they were only slaves.


Moses: This is where you found me?
The Queen: Moses, please try to understand.
Moses: So, everything I thought, everything I am, is a lie?
The Queen: No! You are our son, and we love you.
Moses: Why did you choose me?
The Queen: We didn't, Moses. The gods did.

Rameses: I am Egypt, the morning and the evening star.
If I say day is night, it will be written, and you will be what I say you are.
I say you are innocent.
Moses: What you say does not matter.
You don't understand.
I can't stay here any longer.
Rameses: Moses.
Moses: No!
All I've ever known to be true is a lie.
I'm not who you think I am.
Rameses: What are you talking about?
Moses: Go ask the man I once called "Father".

God: And so, unto Pharaoh, I shall send... you.
Moses: Me?
Who am I to lead these people?
They'll never believe me, they won't even listen me.
God: I shall teach you what to say.
Moses: But I was their enemy.
I was the Prince of Egypt, the son of the man who slaughtered their children.
You've chosen the wrong messenger.
How can I even speak to these people?
God: WHO MADE MAN'S MOUTH?
WHO MADE THE DEAF, THE MUTE, THE SEEING OR THE BLIND?
DID NOT I?
NOW GO!
Oh Moses, I shall be with you when you go to the king of Egypt.
But Pharaoh will not listen.
So I will stretch out My hand, and smite Egypt with all My wonders.

Take the staff in your hand, Moses.
With it, you shall do My wonders.
I shall be with you, Moses
~God

Moses: Rameses, in my heart, you are my brother, but things cannot be as they were.
Rameses: I see no reason why not.
Moses: You know I am a Hebrew, and the God of the Hebrews came to me.
Rameses: What?
Moses: He commands that you let His people go.

Rameses: Moses, I cannot change what you see.
I have to maintain the ancient traditions.
I bear the weight of my father's crown.
Moses: Do you still not understand what Seti was?
Rameses: He was... a great leader.
Moses: His hands bore the blood of thousands of children.
Rameses: Hmph, slaves.
Moses: My people.
And I can no longer hide in the desert while they suffer... at your hands.
Rameses: So, you have returned only to free them.
[Moses put down the ring that Rameses gave him]
Moses: I'm sorry.

I do not know this God, neither will I let your people go.
I will not be the weak link!
~Rameses

Aaron: So, Moses, how does it feel when you get struck to the ground?
Moses: I didn't mean to cause you more pain.
I'm just trying to do as God told me.
Aaron: God? When did God start caring about any of us?
In fact, Moses, when did you start caring about slaves?
Was it when you found out that you were one of us?
Tzipporah: Don't listen to him.
Moses: No, he's right.
I did not see because I did not wish to see.



Rameses Son: Isn't that the man who did all this?
Rameses: Yes. But one must wonder... why.
Moses: Because no kingdom should made on the backs of slaves.

You Hebrews have been nothing but trouble.
My father had the right idea about how to deal with your people.
And I think it's time I finished the job.
And there shall be a great cry in all of Egypt such as never has been or ever will be again!
~Rameses

God has come to me again, saying,
"Take a lamb, and with its blood mark the lintel and posts of every door.
For tonight I shall pass through the land of Egypt and smite all the firstborn.
But when I see the blood upon your door, I will pass over you,
and the plague shall not enter."
~Moses


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment