OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST [1991]

Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST [1991]

Beauty and the Beast
The Most Beautiful Love Story Ever Told

Once upon a time in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle. 
Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish and unkind.
But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose
in return for shelter from the bitter cold.
Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away.
But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances for beauty is found within.
And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress.
The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart.
As punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there.
Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealedhimself inside his castle with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world.
The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose which would bloom until his 21st year.
If he could learn to love another and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell,
then the spell would be broken.
If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time.
As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope,
for who could ever learn to love a beast?
~Narrator


Gaston: Hello, Belle.
Belle, still read her book: Bonjour, Gaston. [Gaston took away her book] 
Gaston, may I have my book, please?
Gaston, flip the pages cynically: How can you read this? There's no pictures!
Belle: Well, some people use their imagination.
Gaston: Belle, it's about time you got your head out of those books
[throws the book] and paid attention to more important things... like me!
The whole town's talking about it.
It's not right for a woman to read.
Soon she starts getting ideas and thinking...

Belle: Papa, do you think I'm odd?
Maurice: My daughter? Odd?
Where would you get an idea like that?
Belle: Oh, I don't know.
It's just that I'm not sure I fit in here.
There's no one I can really talk to.
Maurice: What about that Gaston? He's a handsome fella.
Belle: He's handsome, all right, and rude and conceited, and...
Oh, Papa, he's not for me.

Gaston: This is the day your dreams come true.
Belle: What do you know about my dreams, Gaston?
Gaston: Plenty! Here, picture this...
A rustic hunting lodge, my latest kill roasting on the fire,
and my little wife massaging my feet...
while the little ones play on the floor with the dogs.
We'll have 6 or 7.
Belle: Dogs?
Gaston: No, Belle. Strapping boys, like me.
Belle, rolling her eyes: Imagine that.
Gaston: Do you know who that little wife will be?
Belle: Let me think...
Gaston: You, Belle.
Belle, pretend in shock: Gaston, I'm... I'm speechless.

Beast: He's my prisoner.
Belle: Oh, there must be some way I can... 
Wait! Take me instead.
Beast: You? You would take his place?
Maurice: Belle, no! You don't know what you're doing!
Belle: If I did, would you let him go?
Beast: Yes. But you must promise to stay here forever.
Belle: Come into the light...
[Beast step into the light and Belle gasp after saw him]
Maurice: No, Belle! I won't let you do this!
Belle, standing in front of Beast: You have my word.
Beast: Done!

Lumiere: Master...
Beast: What?
Lumiere: Since the girl is going to be with us for quite some time,
I was thinking that you might want to offer her a more comfortable room.
[Beast roars]
Then again, maybe not.

Belle: You didn't let me say goodbye...
I'll never see him again, I didn't get to say goodbye...
Beast, feeling guilty: I'll show you to your room.
Belle: My room? I thought...
Beast: You wanna stay in the tower?
Belle: No.
Beast: Then follow me.

Beast: The castle is your home now,
so you can go anywhere you like, except the west wing.
Belle: What's in the west...
Beast, impatient: It's forbidden!

Lumiere: Invite her for dinner.
Beast, to Belle, impatient: You will join me for dinner.
That's not a request!

Beast: Oh, it's no use. She's so beautiful and I'm... well, look at me!
Mrs. Potts: Oh, you must help her to see past all that.
Beast: I don't know how.
Mrs. Potts: Welll, you can start by making yourself more presentable.
Straighten up. [Beast stands up straighter]
Try to act like gentleman.
Lumiere: Ah yes. When she comes in, give her a dashing, debonair smile.
Come, come, show me the smile. [Beast gives a big forced smile]
Mrs. Potts: But don't frighten the poor girl.
Lumiere: Impress her with your rapier wit,
Mrs. Potts: But be gentle.
Lumiere: Shower her with compliments,
Mrs. Potts: But be sincere.
Lumiere: And above all...
Mrs. Potts & Lumiere: You must control your temper!

Beast, banging the door: I thought I told you to come down to dinner!
Belle: I'm not hungry!
Beast: You'll come out or I'll... I'll... I'll break down the door!
Lumiere: Master, I could be wrong,
but that may not be the best way to win the girl's affections.
Cogsworth: Please, attempt to be a gentleman...
Beast: But, she is being so difficult!
Mrs. Potts: Gently... Gently...
Beast, lowering his voice to Belle: Will you come down to dinner?
Belle: No!
Beast, points to the door to his servants: Hmmm?!
Cogsworth: Suave, genteel...
Beast, bow to the door: It would give me great pleasure if you would join me for dinner.
Cogsworth: And we say please...
Beast: Please...
Belle: No, thank you!
Beast, loose his patience: YOU CAN'T STAY IN THERE FOREVER!
Belle: Yes, I can!
Beast, roar: FINE! THEN GO AHEAD AND STARVE!
[to his servants] IF SHE DOESN'T EAT WITH ME, THEN SHE DOESN'T EAT AT ALL!

I'm just fooling myself.
She'll never see me as anything but a monster.
It's hopeless...
~Beast

Belle: I wonder what he's hiding up there.
Lumiere: Hiding? The master is hiding nothing.
Belle: Then it wouldn't be forbidden.


[Beast licks his wounds]
Belle: Here, now, don't do that. [Beast growls] Just hold still...
[Belle puts a towel on the wounds and Beast roars loudly]
Beast: That hurts!
Belle: If you hold still, it wouldn't hurt as much!
Beast: If you hadn't run away, this wouldn't have happened!
Belle: If you hadn't frightened me, I wouldn't have run away!
Beast: Well, you shouldn't have been in the west wing!
Belle: Well, you should learn to control your temper!
[Beast fall silent]
Now hold still, this might sting a little...
[Beast growling]
By the way, thank you for saving my life.
Beast: You're welcome.

[Belle about to give back the mirror]
Take it with you,
so you'll always have a way to look back and remember me.
~Beast

Beast: I let her go.
Cogsworth: Yes, yes, splen... You did what?
How could you do that?
Beast: I had to.
Cogsworth: Yes, but, but, but... but why?
Beast: Because, I love her.

Villager, about Beast: Is it dangerous?
Belle: Oh, no, no, he'd never hurt anyone.
Please, I know he looks vicious, but he's really kind and gentle.
He's my friend.
Gaston: If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for this monster.
Belle: He's no monster, Gaston. You are!


Were you in love with her, Beast?
Did you honestly think she'd want you when she had someone like me?
[fights with Beast]
It's over, Beast! Belle is mine!
~Gaston

Belle... you came back...
~Beast





*****

No comments:

Post a Comment