OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING [1995]

Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING [1995]

While You Were Sleeping
A Story About Love at Second Sight


My favorite memories were the stories that he would tell me about my mom.
He would take me to the church where they got married,
and I'd beg him to tell me more about the ceremony.
And I asked my dad when he knew that he truly loved my mom.
And he said to me,
"Lucy, your mother gave me a special gift. She gave me the world."
Actually it was a globe with a light in it.
But for the romantic that he was, it might as well have been the world.
~Lucy

Do you believe in love at first sight?
Nah, I bet you don't.
You're probably too sensible fo that.
Or have you ever seen somebody and you knew that if only that person really knew you,
they would realize that you were the one that they wanted to just grow old with.
Have you ever fallen in love with somebody you haven't even talked to?
Have you ever been so alone you spend the night confusing a man in a coma?
~Lucy, to a comatose Peter

Saul: Lucy, there's something you should know.
The night you visited Peter, I was outside the door.
I know the truth.
Lucy: Sorry.
You know, you don't have to worry because I'm gonna tell them everything.
Saul: Don't tell them a thing.
You remember the day you said you'd never do anything to hurt the family?
Lucy: Yeah...
Saul: Well, since they met you, they figure they have Peter back.
Now if you tell them the truth, you'll take him away again.
They need you, Lucy. 
Just like you need them.

Lucy: I'm having an affair. I like Jack.
Jerry: Who's Jack?
Lucy: Peter's brother.
Jerry: So?
Lucy: So, he thinks I'm engaged.
Jerry: To who?
Lucy: To Peter.
Jerry: Lucy, I really don't have time for this.
Lucy: Oh no no no, you have to tell me what to do.
Jerry: Tell the truth.
Lucy: If I tell Jack that I lied to this family, he will never speak to me again.
And Ox, and Midge, and Mary, and Saul...
Jerry: Saul? Who's Saul?
Lucy: He's the next-door neighbor.
But you know what? Actually, he knows.
Jerry: Lucy, you're born into the family.
You do not join them like you do the Marines.
Lucy: You have to tell me what to do.
Jerry: Pull the plug.
Lucy: You're sick!
Jerry: I'm sick?
You're cheating on a vegetable.

I was never envious of anything that you had.
Until now.
~Jack, to a comatose Peter

It was a lot different than hugging.
Huging's very different.
Hugging, that involves arms, and hands...
And leaning is whole bodies moving in like this [start leaning to Lucy].
Leaning involves wanting and accepting, leaning.
~Jack

Jack: Hey, what do you know about my family?
Spending a week with them does not make you an expert.
Lucy: Spending a lifetime with them hasn't made you one either.

I'd say that she gets under your skin as soon as you meet her.
She drives you so nuts, 
you don't know whether to hug her or just really arm-wrestler her.
She would go all the way Europe just to get a stamp in her passport.
I don't know if that amounts to insanity or just being really really likeable.
~Jack

Jack: I just wanted to give you this before all the presents started to pile up. 
I was droppin' off some furniture in Little Italy. 
I look in a window, and... 
Lucy, open up the gift and it's a snow globe of: ... Florence.
Jack: Florence. 
Lucy: Thank you. It's really beautiful.
Jack: And I wanted to say that I think that Peter... is a very lucky guy. 

Lucy: Hey, Jack. Jack!
Jack, turns around: Yeah?
Lucy: Can you give me any reason why I shouldn't marry your brother? 
Jack: Oh... I can't. [Lucy nods as Jack angrily leaves

Jerry: Wait a minute, it's your wedding invitation.
Lucy: So?
Jerry: Whom are we marrying?
Lucy: Peter Callaghan.
Jerry: The coma guy? Are you insane?
Lucy: Yes, Jerry, I'm insane.
Everyday I go and I sit in a booth like a veal.
I work every holiday, I go home to a cat.
And now a rich and handsome man has asked me to marry him and I have said yes.
Okay okay, that makes me a raving, total lunatic.

Priest: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to...
Lucy: I object. 
Saul: Oh, geez.
Priest: I didn't get to that part yet.
Jack: I would have to object too.
Priest: What about you? 
Peter: I'm thinking!

Lucy: I'm in love with your son.
Ox: I know.
Lucy: Not that one. [points to Peter
That one. [points to Jack
Jack: Why didn't you say something?
Lucy: Because I don't know how to tell you.
I might have saved your life on the tracks, but you know what, you really saved mine.
You allowed me to be a part of your family.
And I haven't had that in a really long time.
And I just didn't wanna let go of that.
So eventhough it was just a little while, I will love them always.
~Lucy
Lucy: I love you.
Jack: I love you back.
So, I had planned to marry Peter, but I married Jack instead.
Thank goodness my father was right.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you plan.
But Jack gave me the perfect gift, a stamp in my passport.
He took me to Florence for our honeymoon.
I guess you might say he gave me the world.
Peter once asked me when it was that I fell in love with Jack.
And I told him, it was while you were sleeping.
~Lucy



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment