OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: POCAHONTAS [1995]

Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

POCAHONTAS [1995]

Two Different Worlds 
One True Love

[John Smith, holds out hand]: It's just a handshake. Here let me show you.
[Pocahontas]: Nothing's happening. 
[John Smith]: Uh, no, no. I need your hand first.
[they shake hands]
[John Smith]: It's how we say "hello".


[John Smith]: Pocahontas, that tree is talking to me. 
[Pocahontas]: Then you should talk back.
[Grandmother Willow]: Don't be frightened, young man. My bark is worse than my bite. 
[Pocahontas]: Say something. 
[John Smith]: What do you say to a tree? 
[Pocahontas]: Anything you want.


[Grandmother Willow]: Come closer, John Smith. 
[she inspects him] He has a good soul. And he's handsome, too. 
[John Smith]: Oh, I like her. 
[Pocahontas]: I knew you would.


[Pocahontas]: We don't have to fight them! There must be a better way.
[Powhatan]: Sometimes our paths are chosen for us.
[Pocahontas]: But maybe we should try talking to them. 
[Powhatan]: They do not want to talk.
[Pocahontas]: But if one of them did want to talk, you would listen to him, wouldn't you?
[Powhatan]: Pocahontas... 
[Pocahontas]: Wouldn't you?
[Powhatan]: Of course I would. But it is not that simple. Nothing is simple anymore. 


[John Smith]: Pocahontas...
[Pocahontas, hugs him]: I'm so sorry.
[John Smith]: For what? This? 
I've gotten out of worse scrapes than this. Can't think of anything right now, but... 
[Pocahontas, tearfully]: It would've been better if we never met. 
None of this would've happened. 
[John Smith]: Pocahontas, look at me. 
I'd rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you. 






[Pocahontas, as she throws herself over John Smith, who is about to be executed]: No!
[silence]
[Pocahontas]: If you kill him, you'll have to kill me, too. 
[Powhatan]: Daughter, stand back.
[Pocahontas]: I won't! I love him, Father.
[silence]
[Pocahontas]: Look around you. This is where the path of hatred has brought us. 
[brief silence]
[Pocahontas]: This is the path I choose, Father. What will yours be? 


[John Smith]: Come with me? 
[Powhatan]: You must choose your own path. 
[Pocahontas]: I'm needed here.


My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. 
We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. 
From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me. 
[Powhatan]



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment