OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: LEGENDS OF THE FALL [1994]

Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

LEGENDS OF THE FALL [1994]

After The Fall From Innocence 
The Legend Begins
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. 
Such people become crazy, or they become legends.
[One Stab]

I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. 
I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. 
It was those who loved him most who died young. 
He was a rock they broke themselves against however much he tried to protect them. 
[One Stab]

She was like the water that freezes inside a rock and breaks it apart. 
It was no more her fault than it is the fault of the water when the rock shatters
[One Stab]

Every warrior hopes a good death will find him. 
[One Stab]



[Susannah]: Were you going to say goodbye? Tristan? How long will you be gone? 
[Tristan]: Not long. A few months. 
[Susannah]: I can make it better for you. 
[Tristan]: No.
[Susannah]: If we'd had a child or if I were pregnant, would you still be going? 
[Tristan]: Yes. 
[Susannah]: Just give me a chance. 
[Tristan]: Don't do that. 
[Susannah]: Look at me. Please, look at me. I'll wait for you. 
However long it takes. I'll wait for you forever. 


I followed all of the rules, man's and God's. 
And you, you followed none of them. 
And they all loved you more. 
Samuel, Father, and my... even my own wife. 
[Alfred]


[Tristan]: Alfred's going to do well wherever he is. 
[Colonel Ludlow]: Except here with us.
[Tristan]: That's my fault.
[Colonel Ludlow]: I didn't say that. 
[Tristan]: I couldn't bring Samuel back home alive either, could I?
[Colonel Ludlow]: Don't you dare say that boy! That was in God's hands.
[Tristan]: Was it?


[Alfred]: I don't know what to say. Tristan's always been wild. You love him for that.
[Susannah]: Do I? Yeah, I suppose I do.
[Alfred]: Susannah, he does love you.
[Colonel Ludlow]: Alfred! She's to be your brother's wife.
[Alfred]: Yes, though you might better remind him of that.
[Colonel Ludlow]: He's not here to defend himself. 
[Alfred]: No, he's not but I see you are here to defend him and what is his. 
Even though he's abandoned her and you. 
And I won't even speak of who else he abandoned. 
[Colonel Ludlow]: Damn you, boy. Don't you blame my son for Samuel's death! 
Samuel chose to be a soldier and soldiers die. 
Sent to be slaughtered by the men in the government. 
Parasites like you! 
Damn and blast you! 
*turms to Susannah* Damn you too! 
[Alfred]: Shut your mouth! You leave her out of this! 
[Colonel Ludlow]: You get out of my house and off my land. 
[Alfred]: Why? Because I want to serve my country like you did? 
Or because, like you, I love a woman who doesn't love me? 
He used her and he deserted her. Your darling Tristan.
[Susannah]: Alfred, don't, please. 
[Alfred]: I loved her! I love her still. 
And he stole her from me. 
If you want to know the truth of it he stole her from Samuel before the war. 
[Colonel Ludlow]: God help me, I'll kill you. 



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment