OB40mukEXQ6QZ1740xdjwF1LEQ4 Quote to Remember: INDECENT PROPOSAL [1993]

Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

INDECENT PROPOSAL [1993]

A Husband, A Wife
A Millionaire, A Proposal 




[David]: I guess there's limits to what money can buy. 
[John]: Not many. 
[Diana]: Well some things aren't for sale.
[John]: Such as? 
[Diana]: Well you can't buy people.
[John]: That's naive, Diana. I buy people every day. 
[Diana]: In business, maybe, but you can't buy people not when real emotions are involved. 
[John]: So you're saying you can't buy love? That's a bit of a cliché don't you think?
[Diana]: It's absolutely true.
[John]: Is it? What do you think?
[David]: I agree with Diana. 
[John]: You do? Well let's test the cliché. 
Suppose... I were to offer you one million dollars for one night with your wife.
[David]: I'd assume you're kidding. 
[John]: Let's pretend I'm not. What would you say?
[Diana]: He'd tell you to go to hell.
[John]: I didn't hear him.
[David]: I'd tell you to go to hell.
[John]: That's a reflex answer because you view the question as hypothetical. 
But let's say that there was real money backing it up. 
I'm not kidding. A million dollars. 
The night would come and go but the money could last a lifetime. 
Think of it. A million dollars. 
A lifetime of security... for one night. 
Don't answer right away. Just consider it; seriously? 
[David]: We're positive, okay?
[John]: Well then you've proved your point. 
There are limits to what money can buy. 
It's late, and I hate to admit it, but I have meetings in the morning. 
May I have one dance? With your permission. 
[David]: You know something? I think you better hurry on to that meeting. 
You don't want to miss out on your next billion. 
[John]: Understood. I wouldn't part with her either. Good night.






[John]: Dance?
[Diana]: I should go.
[John]: I remember once when I was young, 
and I was coming back from some place, a movie or something. 
I was on the subway and there was a girl sitting across from me and she was wearing this dress that was bottoned queer up right to here, 
she was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. 
And I was shy then, so when she would look at me I would look away, 
then afterwards when I would look back she would look away. 
Then I got to where I was gonna get off, and got off, the doors closed, 
and as the train was pulling away she looked right at me 
and gave me the most incredible smile. 
It was awful, I wanted to tear the doors open. 
And I went back every night, same time, for two weeks, but she never showed up. 
That was 30 years ago and I don't think that theres a day that goes by that I don't think about her, 
I don't want that to happen again. 
Just one dance? 



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment